View Single Post
Old 14-06-2011, 10:21 AM   #35
crowking
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 shells View Post
I have the same two Boettgeri one larger the much smaller more smooth both kept the same for 5 year's. I fed what they needed when the temp's were good/up and active.
Boettgeri as a group have a massive variation in size,colouring,and shape! All my Hermanns within my herd are of different size and shapes,for example two of my UK bred females are of the same age approx 6 years old, and there is a huge difference in size! Bessie the much larger female,i know her history, and her mother (as i've stated before on this forum) is an enormous 13" wild caught Boettgeri her age is estimated at around 100 years old(which leads to the question do tortoises ever really stop growing?) my other 6 year old,'Podge' she is very small and i dont know her history.As i understand Boettgeri variation is down to the area's they originated from,Bulgarian being the largest,but surely with decades of massive importation and captive breeding many true types must however be lost? what i believe we have now is a mixture of various sub-species that have been imported and bred together over many years and this counts for the massive diversity within Boettgeri.
crowking is offline   Reply With Quote