View Single Post
Old 28-01-2015, 01:35 PM   #3
CherryBrandy
Adult

Afternoon Ben

Tortoises can all be very different, sizes, shapes, colour etc even same species at same age bought up together. One of my Horsfields is over 20 years old and he looks tiny, no bigger than a juvenile size compared to his companions. I didn't have to separate the boys from the girls for over 7 years.

My four boys are boisterous but they more or less get on. The bigger boy does bite one of the other ones occasionally, he just doesn't seem to like him near, but this is natural behaviour and as long as kept in check (i.e i move him away in the enclosure and he sulks for a while) they seem to have been ok together for nearly 20 years and have never had a night apart.

One of the girls rams the others and tries to tip them over, but apart from her they have lived nearly 20 years together also, lot calmer. I have also had some rescue ones in and they were all very much accepted.
Horsfields are very gregarious tortoises I have found.

Carrott has tannins in which can sometimes make for loose poops depending on amount eaten. I think cut back on the lettuce if possible, though romaine is usually semi ok, other lettuce leafs can induce the runs in a lot of animals anyway and not much to it. Saying that mine love it as a treat cut up crunchy. Rocket is available in bags and toughens up the structure and natural / varied weed diet always a good idea.

When you bathe them in lukey warm water then maybe place the tub on an item so it is slightly on the tilt , - deeper down the back end and always scoop some water (clean) over the head and face whilst they are bathing either better from the deep end as same temperature. Their eyes dry out big style under lamps and grit can stick to the surface. I once had a tomato pip which adhered solid to the skin for days despite bathing !
Good luck , CB

Last edited by CherryBrandy; 28-01-2015 at 01:42 PM.
CherryBrandy is offline   Reply With Quote