View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
Andy Robertson
Hatched

Default Thermometer/hydrometer which ones are accurate

Hi everyone,

just wondering what type of Thermometer/hydrometers people out there use for there incubators?
I have had one Hova-bator and one Jeager 50 set up for the last two months. Having had to cover up most of the holes on both to establish the right Humidity I also had four or five different types of thermom/hydrom in there to see how the readings were. The most expensive one was £25 and all were reading different humidity levels with temperature readings nearly all the same.
The other day a bought an expensive one at £70 CEM DT-615 this is a hand held one which looks to be very accurate and the probe can stay in the incubator all the time. So far this has been very accurate and shows the big difference in the cheaper types. Below is a list of some of them and there readings in the same incubator.

Cheap white one from ebay £6 30.2c 59%hum
Lucky reptile LTH-32 29c 82%hum
Digi tech 28.9c 83%hum
CEM DT-615 29c 84%hum
Repti zoo 30c 65%hum
Komodo 86%hum
Thermo meter 30c 96%hum

The one mistake I did make when I got my new one was, because I had them at the side of the egg containers the lid caught on one of the wires and it fell on too two of my fertile Herc eggs!! Totally gutted, but managed to put some super glue on the hair line cracks so fingers crossed they will be okay.

As for the meters I think I will invest in another CEM DT-615 and continue with these ones instead.
As mentioned at the start it would be interesting to see what other people use.

Cheers Andy
Andy Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote