View Single Post
Old 02-11-2016, 09:01 PM   #11
burnt toast
Adult

I tend to be dubious of transfering new hatchlings into table at this time of year as I dont want to shock them. So even if I add them to the table during the day I sometimes put them back in the incubator overnight as its obviously colder at night.

As for bacteria in the incubator I had problems with late dis hatchlings (mainly Hermans) I looked into this as a possible cause & now add F10 to all water recepticals in the incubator which seems to help.

Its always a tough call whether to open an "overdue" egg or not. I recently lost 3 of a clutch of 5 due to over calcified hard shells (they looked ok) heartbreakingly the hatchlings pipped then suddenly died. So I thought im not going to let these 2 die & broke them out.

Rather than sit them in anything I actually dampened a clean container put a layer of vermiculite in, as deep as the yolk sac then made a well for sac to sit in (in the vermiculite) & draped damp kitchen roll on it then another piece over the top of container like a tent & spray this quietly in the dark trying not to scare hatchling.

Good luck I do hope its a good outcome
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote