View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #18
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediterraneansuze View Post
I suppose we must also remember that in the med, as the summer goes on the supply of food dwindles to nothing , so by July and August there's little or no food left. So how do our continuous supply of food affect growth. So in the wild they are not eating none stop all year round, and not growing all year round, does this make a difference, I hibernate mine, so they have that break from eating and growing, which they have evolved to do in the wild, does this have any effect on on how well the shell grows. I just wonder if all year round eating and growing is not good for shell growth.( I expect this will open a huge can of worms) I'm not saying it is or it isn't , I'm just wondering, that's all.

I agree totally here, in the wild they eat far less than tortoises in captivity. Eating foods as the seasons change. And some months there will be no foods.
This is why tortoises in captivity are always far larger than wild. Also a lot of keepers don't hibernate, so again they are eating foods when in a normal year for wild tortoises they wouldn't eat.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote