Thread: closed chambers
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2015, 01:24 PM   #19
JerryMaffz
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
Keith I think your experience shows that with a well-thought out enclosure and some half decent weather we don't need to be constantly burning electricity to maintain hermanns outdoors in the summer months.

If Gerry wasn't active and feeding you would notice and by taking his temperature you can be sure that he is able to digest his meals.

I always say that the 'rules' about keeping tortoises indoors such as the 32C basking spot and the 20C ambient temperature just do not apply at all outside. But of course just plonking a mediterranean tortoise outside in the UK won't work.
I'm very lucky in that I live in a sheltered valley which seems to miss a lot of inclement weather and the enclosure is exposed to the sun for about 9 hours a day at this time of year..It's worth pointing out that my experience is in it's infancy, but so far I have seen no reason to deviate from the current husbandry...Your point about just plonking a Med. Tortoise outside is valid, hopefully the days of the "Garden Tortoise" are long gone.

With regard to the 32c basking, 20c ambient 'rules'. I agree, they don't seem to apply outside because nature doesn't really follow rules, which leads me to hypothesise the possibility that they may not apply inside. I am of course playing devils advocate here, but with the tortoises known ability to raise it's temperature way above it's heat source, wouldn't it be viable to have a lower temp. with the tortoise just basking for a longer period?..I'd be interested to hear experienced keepers views.

Testudo hermanni boettgeri 1:0:0 Jerry Maffz

Last edited by JerryMaffz; 09-07-2015 at 01:49 PM.
JerryMaffz is offline   Reply With Quote