Thread: Advice needed
View Single Post
Old 18-10-2018, 06:58 PM   #3
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
Good evening,

We adopted a tortoise back in May and we think he's a Russian. He (or she...) was healthy and happy. Towards end of a very warm summer, he seemed to dig deeper and look like he wanted to hibernate - his eating had also slowed down. It felt too early and too warm to hibernate him so as soon as the weather changed I got him indoors, bought a heat lamp and tried to get him to start eating again. (No such luck!)

I was lead to believe, from my research, that Russian's didn't need to hibernate but now he has disappeared into his 'bedroom' for the past few days and I'm guessing he's gone for a very long sleep. However, he hasn't really eaten for 2 months, despite being active and 'healthy' and so I'm very concerned that if he sleeps now he won't survive. He's also inside in a tortoise table, so it's warmer than it should be.

I'm rather worried about him - should I wake him up? should I let him sleep where he is? should I move him into a hibernation box and let him continue sleeping?

Would appreciate your help! On one hand tortoises seem so hardy and on the other hand so fragile! I really would like him to survive.

Sorry to say your research is not so good. In the wild Horsfield tortoises hibernate up to six months of the year. In captivity they are the first species to sense the change in temps, and will bury down at the drop of a hat:0)
Even if kept under too hotter temps:0)

I would make sure you actually have a Horsfield posting a picture will help us to help you:0)
Tortoises have a built in clocks, and they know that from around August onwards they will slow down their eating. As the days get shorter and light levels will drop. And they act accordingly.

You need to find a cold room, to allow him to do what is norm for him. And bury down for hibernation. Having not eaten for two months is ok, but he did need to be hydrated during this time by bathing.
If he is really asleep then do any movement during the evening when its colder, less chance of him waking.
Sleeping in an area where temps are above 5c is asking for problems I am afraid. He needs to be in a frost free area with temps around 5c.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote