View Single Post
Old 09-01-2018, 11:02 AM   #5
CherryBrandy
Adult

I must admit I am nervous about fridge hibernation, but a lot of people seem to do it very successfully and it is controlled. I am similar to Sandy that I hibernate most of mine naturally under cover in a GH. I don't have heat at all though in the GH, and have never seemed to have any ill effect without. Interestingly enough they all come out on the same day from their dig down and I have noted the first day for last 25 years odd also and it really varies. For me this is then a benchmark for the spurs who are packaged up. So although I check them weekly, make sure no wees, poops and they move I don't wake the spurs until the last Horsfield is up out of their dig down. The horsfields then stay in the GH and I open it up around March (if no snow as I can remember snow in April without a doubt!). Even the coldest of nights they stay in the GH but I do bring the others into the kitchen for a warm up overnight. I don't think its the hibernation or cold which can be impactual , its the health of the tortoise ultimately whether its cold or not - with the right husbandry. CB