View Single Post
Old 10-07-2019, 09:24 AM   #9
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by TessaRuth View Post
When he arrived last August, he weighed 823g. His weight gradually rose to when he went into hibernation at 871g. He came out at about the same weight which then rose to 880g in May. He's now gone down to 835g. You can see why I'm worrying. How long, Sandy, do your girls go without food?
They can go up to a week or so without food:0)
It might seem that 45grms seems a lot, but its not in an adult tortoise. Activity will keep them trim:0)
I do find with my male, his weight tends to stay the same, rarely puts on weight. As males move around a lot more than females.
Also if you have only had him since last August, he is still settling in. I would only worry if he is lethargic, or has a runny nose or affected eyes. These are the signs of an unhealthy tortoise.
Also check his stools, so he does not have an over load of worms. Tortoises carry worms, but if they get over loaded then it can affect eating.
Other than that, try not to stress over the eating, as long as he has water available and food he should be fine, especially after a visit to a vet:0)
What sort of diet are you feeding him?

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote