Thread: Vit D3
View Single Post
Old 28-04-2018, 07:40 PM   #12
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

I switched to nekton msa but I only do it once a week . The amount to be used is tiny. So tiny that it's impossible to dose accurately. I wish they would dilute it down to a sensible concentration.
That's the D3 plus dealt with. I'm not scientific and I'm not convinced they need it. I know I've got decent uv indoors and out.
Calcium I deal with separately. I don't sprinkle it on food as I would be giving the tortoise a hobson's choice. Go hungry or have a load of calcium it might not need. I offer cuttlefish bones and lump chalk and I trust the tort to know if they need it. One of my females won't eat it and I wish she would.
I only feed dandelions when there isn't much else. This is because of the oxalic acid which may inhibit the absorption of calcium. This effect has not been proven in reptiles but its been shown in other animal studies. For this reason I never feed the stems as try are full of sap and I am very sparing with feeding dandelion flowers. I'm not saying it's a bad food. I believe its not an ideal one so when there is heaps of other stuff I steer clear.

Phew!