View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 11:53 PM   #15
TillyTortoise
Adult

I live just outside Cardiff, I haven't heard of Roath park lake being dredged.

I don't think these came from the wild.

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

Roath Park set another record in the late 1990s when an unnatural inhabitant hit the headlines. Following the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle craze pet shops were inundated with requests for terrapins from America and Asia. When the tiny creatures they bought grew into dinner-plate sized creatures, the novelty wore thin and thousands of terrapins were released into lakes nationwide.

The National Terrapin Project's 1997 survey revealed that Roath Park contained 125 of these unwanted pets - more than any other urban lake. When they demonstrated a liking for chick eggs, small animals and birds - not to mention biting human fingers - many were rounded up and sent off to a terrapin centre in Italy. Now there are far fewer in the lake, but because they live to an old age and are probably still being released when they outgrow their pet tanks, they do persist at Roath Park." Taken from a BBC report, March 2006.

I suspect the numbers have risen again since then, I might take a trip down their at the weekend and see whats going on.