View Single Post
Old 15-06-2010, 01:25 AM   #61
Sharon.T.
Egg

]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
Frogs don't screem.
Anthropomorphising is the largest road block in this conversation.

Again... the kind of 'documentary' is created for the very reason we are having this conversation.

I only wish a truely objective editor could be found to actually present an informative and objective documentary on the topic.
For your information Ed, I wasn't anthropomorphising but if it makes you feel better I'll re-phrase it for you... I heard a very high pitched noise that sounded like an animal was in distress. I went downstairs to find one of my cats patting a frog to make it jump, every time they patted it, it held it's front legs above it's head and emitted a high pitched distress sound. Does that make you feel better?

I also don't see why you have problem with vegetarians either. I am 39 and have been vegetarian for the last 15 nearly 16yrs. I have a husband and a 15yr old daughter, both of whom eat meat. Lots of people assume my daughter will be vegetarian because I am but that is simply not the case. Vegetarianism is a choice that I made because I didn't want an animal to die so I could eat when there are plenty other food stuffs I can eat which will provide me with all the vitamins and nutrients I need to maintain a healthy life. But it is my choice not anybody else's and I'm not about to ram it down anyone else's throat. If you want to eat, fine, I just choose not to and would hope that when people do eat meat they try to make it free range and killed in the most humane way possible. My daughter eats meat because it is her choice, if she decides in later life to become a vegetarian then, of course, I would be happy but it has to be her choice and no-one else's.

I am not a naive woman who just wants to 'save' all the fluffy animals. I have watched documentaries which showed you in full the journey the animal takes from farm to plate so I have seen animals slaughtered both by stunning first and for halal meat so I do have a very realistic view of slaughtering, I just didn't feel good knowing the animal died just so I could eat. I am well aware the cow would still be slaughtered anyway but at least I am not contributing towards it's death. I purchase meat for my hubby and daughter and always make sure it is sourced from a free range farm, I would rather buy more expensive meat less often, knowing it had a decent life, than to buy the cheapest meats which were kept in poor conditions and eat meat every day. The way I see it, if I need to cook meat for my family then I want it to have been happy, that's the way I need to compromise.qq
Sharon.T. is offline   Reply With Quote