View Single Post
Old 18-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewoodpugz View Post
I got Nile in April and I still lack confidence as a new tort keeper. He seems pretty small and I'm very nervous about putting him in hibernation or having the knowledge to do it. Actually forget nervous, terrified! At the same time now the weather has suddenly gone colder I hate to have to keep him inside all the time, it just seems miserable for him when he's used to be out foraging and exploring in the garden. His appetite seems to have dropped this last week as well. No one ever told me how stressful it would be haing a tortoise!! I just love him to pieces, I want to do the right thing by him. Thanks for reading my ramblings!
Age has nothing to do with when or not you hibernate a tortoise:0)
It can be scary hibernating a tortoise thats under 30grms, but still possible.
It does sound like your tortoise is preparing for hibernation, as all my tortoises are slowing down too.
www.thetortoisehouse.com has some great instructions on hibernation, and are the same ones I use. I have been hibernating tortoises for over 32yrs and not lost one in hibernation yet. And yes I still worry, and stress. But once you have done the first hibernation it does get easier, as you know they come up raring to go.
If you box up a tortoise for hibernation, you need somewhere where the temps stay around 5c, I have used out garage attatched to our house. With a heater to come on if the temps drop below 5c. If you monitor your tortoise closely during the hibernation (weighing every week, after the first two weeks, when they can loose the most weight) if you think there is a genuine problem (and not you panicing:0) ) then just get them up.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote