View Single Post
Old 07-03-2011, 11:08 PM   #7
EJ
Adult

You didn't mention temperatures but with a heat mat you really don't have to. I'm sure the tortoise has access to heat. (I think heat mats are a good thing if you are careful using them.)

You really didn't mention how the vet determined that there were worms.

Did the vet check for protozoa?

Both worms and protozoa are diagnosed using a microscope. For the worms they are looking for the eggs and for the protozoa they are looking for the moving protozoa in a fresh fecal. Both require different treatment. If you've had the tortoise 2 years the vet guessed wrong because protozoa is more likely the problem than worms. The protozoa can do more damage than worms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by **Carol** View Post
He was diagnosed at the Dick Vet in Edinburgh, it's the 1st time I've taken him to the vet since I got him and they are the only vet I know of in Edinburgh that see exotics and they are supposed to be very good. I got him just over a year ago from a pet shop and he has been perfectly healthy until this happened. He didn't hibernate no, I thought he was a bit young and I am too unfamiliar with the process. He is kept in an open top enclosure about 2 ft by 2 ft with half topsoil substrate and half newspaper (though at the moment its all newspaper til he is over his worms) He had a separate uv and heat lamp but when I got him home from the vet the heat lamp blew when I switched it on. So I have ordered him a solar glo which he used to have because I think they are much better than separate bulbs. It should be here tomorrow but until then his only heat source is a heat mat (I know this isn't the best heat source but it's all I have temporarily)

When you say there will be a large die off of worms do you mean he will pass them when they die? I have not seen any worms in his poo (would they be visible to the eye?) and yes it is Panacur.

Thanks again
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote