View Single Post
Old 08-11-2019, 05:52 PM   #27
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by TessaRuth View Post
Gosh! I'm having exactly the opposite experience and am wondering if it's normal. I'd really appreciate your opinions.

I live in Southern England and we got our 13 year old tortoise last year. He then seemed to know when it was time to start the hibernation process, eating next to nothing and becoming most lethargic. He started hibernating on 10th November. This year, he is still running around and eating probably more than he ever has. He is showing no signs at all of slowing down. Is this normal? Should I try to make him hibernate by reducing the temperature of the room he's in and stopping feeding him? His previous owner said that he didn't hibernate some years but I don't know if that's right either. He seems really happy but I don't know whether not hibernating will harm him. I'd really appreciate your experience on this (as I have in the past). Thank you.
What breed of tortoise is he? They don't neccessarily hibernate on the same day or same week as the previous year. A lot depends on the temperatures at night and the amount of daylight plus a bit of instinct. Not hibernating won't harm him but what did he hibernate in last year? My ones hibernate themselves in a big tub of soil (in a greenhouse) when they are ready then I surround it with insulation but other people do the fridge method. Some people just keep them going but they are usually less active and eat less

Last edited by Alan1; 08-11-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote