View Single Post
Old 20-10-2018, 03:59 PM   #4
jimothy
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
They look like iberas to me:0)
I have kept and bred them for over 36yrs, and they are great tortoises.

How long have they been together?
What space do they have in their enclosure?
What temps are you keeping?
You can get greedy tortoises, and iberas can be very greedy. When I had hatchlings like this I used to feed them separately.
Remember tortoises like us grow at different rates, and generally its females that are the larger of the species. As long as they are not losing weight I wouldnt worry.
Given time they will get used to each other. The odd nip is not going to hurt them, provided its the shell and legs. The vulnerable area is the eyes.
You look to have plenty of plants, maybe some barriers like large stones, pieces of wood. So they dont see each other all the time might help.:0)
When you say the look like Iberas does that mean they aren’t spur thighednot just a different type? The species definitions seem quite confusing!

They have been together since hatching in the same table - 4 weeks with the breeder then with us since then. They have a 90x45 cm table to share,the temp is 30-32 at the hot end and 18-20 at the cool end.

Most of the time they avoid/ignore each other but some more barriers i will definitely try and create more privacy with to avoid conflict.

I tried putting down two trays of food yesterday but they both went for the one they were used to but will keep trying.
jimothy is offline   Reply With Quote