View Single Post
Old 10-09-2019, 10:36 AM   #8
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielRyan9194 View Post
Sandy - so the shop owner said the species is Greek, I’m leaning towards Testudo Greaca Greaca (if spelt right) and 12-14 years. And a female. She was a refining rotoise and I just need to get a table before they let her leave. Now I have her home in hemp bedding oin the table I think I need a bigger table. I’m going to measure and weight her today and take pictures of her for records (and upload here is I can). Do I keep track of size and weight? Which ratio?
On the food front how much do I feed her and how many times a day?

Pictures would be great, as we could then help you ID the tortoise:0)
Lol sorry there as far as I know not a species called greek:0)
The shop owner obviously does not know what the species is. If it is a graeca then he/she should have paper work that tells you. It is illegal to actually sell graecas without the paper work.
Tortoises should put on weight very slowly to help stop pyramiding, so weeds are really needed. Grazing is the best way, hence the seed tray so they can eat when needed. Most keepers struggle if their tortoise does not eat, but that is not the biggest worry. Dehydration is, so plenty of bathing every day for at least a week or two. Then every other day is fine.
I would feed once a day. As tortoise will eat everything put in front of them so easy to over feed.
My tortoises are outside (with a heated greenhouse when needed) 24/7 and graze the grass as and when they need to. I do feed weeds once a day normally. But they are slowing down getting ready for hibernation, so I feed every other day extra weeds.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote