View Single Post
Old 09-09-2019, 08:40 AM   #3
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielRyan9194 View Post
Hi, I’m going to be a new tortoise owner in the morning after my fiancé decided to get me one. I think it’s a Spur Thighed from what he told me (spearhead, haha). But I’ve been busy this weekend with a wedding to do extensive research.
So I’m asking for guidance to feeding, lighting, substrate, weight/length tracking and ratio (jackson or hailey?)
In terms of food, I have Tesco, ASDA, Lidl, Morrison’s, Aldo stc so what can I get regularly. Does anyone stick to a list.
What plants etc can I grow at home indoors ideally from seeds.
ANY other advice from experienced tortoise owner will be appreciated!
Thanks
Firstly you would actually need to know the species (spur thigh is the common name for all spur thighs. At least different sub species) As some are more sensitive than others.
Lighting I have used both combined UV/Heat lamps and separate spotlight for heat and UV tube. I would recommend the separate system if you live in the south, the temps can get quite high and keeping an open topped enclosure from over heating can be difficult. You can always switch the heat off and keep the UV:0)
Diet needs to be high fibre which means a good supply of weeds. You can add lettuce now and again but they need the weeds:0)
As Alan mentioned you can sow seeds in seed trays (you need at least three on the go, one just sown, one growing and one ready to eat) but they are best grown outside in a sheltered area. Even in the Winter:0)
As you are finding owning a tortoise is scary with all the info you have to get at first. But once you have it in your head they are quite easy to keep:0)
We are all here to help, so dont be put off:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote