Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Missing/Found/Stolen (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Missing Tort :( (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=38599)

Norty Torty 01-10-2010 02:41 PM

Missing Tort :(

Hi everyone,

My gorgeous Tort - Snorkmaiden has escaped in the garden. He's a male Eastern Hermanns, 4 years old.

We have looked everywhere but we can't find him anywhere. The garden has walls, so we're pretty sure he hasn't got out. Could have tunnelled down? If so, for how long - until the spring? Is there any way I can tempt him out? Food etc? I'm really worried :(

Thank you and any help would be very much appreciated.

By the way - he has vanished from a garden near the centre of Torquay, in case any one is from that area and sees a pretty tort around.

Thanks again.

xxxx

TortBabe 01-10-2010 02:52 PM

He may well have dug down for winter, I hope he reappears for you soon :)

yuna1971 01-10-2010 02:52 PM

He might have dug down .....dont give up. :)
Look for disturbed areas of earth,ground - small spaces, in your garden. See what other suggestions come...but he possibly could be still in the back garden vicinity! xx My fingers are firmly crossed for you Hayley. Hope you find him soon ...:) xxx

Norty Torty 01-10-2010 02:55 PM

Thank you guys - I guess I am hoping that he has done that - because I'd have more chance (fingers crossed) that he'll come back up. I haven't hibernated him before though - so do you think he would be ok if he has dug down?
xx

yuna1971 01-10-2010 02:59 PM

You know what...I reckon if that is what he has done, he has done it all naturally and he will be fine. BUT....I overwinter, I dont hibernate Lily - so to be sure - wait for confirmation from a more experienced member on hibernation/or someone who has had this happen... I am sure I have read similar stories of this, then all of a sudden when spring comes and the temps rise...up they pop;) xxx

Norty Torty 01-10-2010 03:00 PM

Ah - thank you for being so positive, that helps a lot :)

xxx

Bindi 01-10-2010 03:48 PM

I agree with the others, there is a very good chance that he has dug down somewhere. Compost heaps, down amongst the roots of plants and grasses are all areas he may have gone. When left to their own devices they often do what nature, and envrionmental conditions tell them to do, so unless we get a warm spell you may very well not see him again till spring.

Don't give up hope though, keep scouring the garden, you never know, you may see a very grubby face pop up one day

justmeandmytortoise 01-10-2010 04:14 PM

Mine keep doing this and a long stick gently poked into freshly disturbed soil finds them. I gently (so I cannot harm them) tap the stick into the soil until I find a hard shell. :smile:

Good luck

pagan queen 01-10-2010 10:04 PM

Don't give up hope. I lost my tort for 4 years and thought he was gone for ever but he turned up this summer as healthy as he was the day he went missing, a lot bigger but still my old Herbie. :D

FinnGB 04-10-2010 02:25 PM

Best of luck, im sure you'll find him!! dont stop looking