Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Up and about on 27th February 2022 (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=75167)

Alan1 28-02-2022 11:58 AM

Up and about on 27th February 2022

One of mine is up yesterday, 27th Feb which is over two weeks earlier than usual. Much colder today though and staying under cover.

sandy 28-02-2022 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan1 (Post 680012)
One of mine is up yesterday, 27th Feb which is over two weeks earlier than usual. Much colder today though and staying under cover.

Mine are still down, but I can see they are slowly moving under the soil:0)

Yvonne G 02-03-2022 04:14 PM

My box turtles are starting to wake up, but the tortoises are still sound asleep.

CherryBrandy 08-03-2022 09:07 AM

yes mine too till yesterday but even then they went back into digging sleeping , despite warmth ....whats the temps like where you are Yvonne?

Gordon 17-03-2022 02:19 PM

Well that's all of mine up too. All seemed to have done OK in the garage where they hibernate in wooden boxes I made which seem to do a good job.
It will be nice to be able to sit in the greenhouse again with a nice cup of tea watching what they get up to.

tortydat 17-03-2022 07:43 PM

I still have seven asleep but they will be up by the end of the week.

CherryBrandy 19-03-2022 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon (Post 680038)
Well that's all of mine up too. All seemed to have done OK in the garage where they hibernate in wooden boxes I made which seem to do a good job.
It will be nice to be able to sit in the greenhouse again with a nice cup of tea watching what they get up to.

lovely cuppa ! I am drinking dark chai at the moment less caffeine...mmmmm

what were the boxes made of ? don't say wood !! just interested because I did some wooden boxes too and newspaper instead of straw. was worried the potential combination of wood and dampness of paper might affect hibernation, but in fact they didn't seem to lose so much moisture.

Mine are all up and eating too, but then again mini heat wave ! they must know....

Gordon 19-03-2022 09:07 AM

They were made of wood:-D

Sorry had to do it. They are made from planks of wood that are 6x1 inches cut to two foot long then all screwed at each end to make a square. Then a piece of 9mm ply wood cut to the size of the square and screwed to the bottom and another piece the same size attached to the top with some hinges and hey presto a box. I also in some of them put a pieof the 6x1 down the middle to divide in two so if I'm putting torts from different groups they can be kept separate.
For bedding I just use chopped straw.

CherryBrandy 03-04-2022 09:24 AM

:-D:-D:shock: wow temperatures really were low last night - water frozen in the dishes. !

tortydat 03-04-2022 03:16 PM

Yes we had a very hard frost but fortunately all the torts were wrapped up with their heaters on. Now sadly have a very brown magnolia!