Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Rehoming (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Noah's Ark Birdham, Sussex (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=43310)

Geomyda 03-06-2011 03:38 PM

Noah's Ark Birdham, Sussex

The Chichester Observer front page reports that this rescue centre is going to close in October. They are asking for enquiries in order to rehome 500 reptiles. The reason given is that they are unable to raise the funds to keep going.
This is a real shame, as they really try to do a good job. They hold a significant population of Chelonia, both Tortoises and Terrapins.

Box girl 03-06-2011 05:04 PM

I have been there albeit some time ago as I used to live in Sussex.
What a shame.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geomyda (Post 468967)
The Chichester Observer front page reports that this rescue centre is going to close in October. They are asking for enquiries in order to rehome 500 reptiles. The reason given is that they are unable to raise the funds to keep going.
This is a real shame, as they really try to do a good job. They hold a significant population of Chelonia, both Tortoises and Terrapins.

kezia911 03-06-2011 05:35 PM

I also read the article in the observer and find it really sad that they are having to close due to financial dificulties.
I tried to contact them by phone and email to see if there was any thing that could be done to help keep it open. But sadly as yet i've not had a response.

Easter Bunny 03-06-2011 06:33 PM

I belong to a boxer dog forum and every so often they do auctions ( doggy stuff). Every member donates a item or more to the auction and list it themselves on the auction thread ( so each person is responsible for posting item to the winner). All proceeds go to a boxer rescue.

I know this wouldn't save rescue centers but the ones left open might benefit from the donations.

lynne x

Evie 03-06-2011 07:34 PM

Really sad news.

It is a lovely place and one I would have recommended - it is such a shame.

Alan1 03-06-2011 08:05 PM

is it not a case of the zoo licence thing again though, like some of the others and isn't it £100,000 or something?

Geomyda 07-06-2011 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caledonia (Post 469067)
is it not a case of the zoo licence thing again though, like some of the others and isn't it £100,000 or something?

Alan, Though I am sure, the cost of complying with Zoo licence is an issue, I firmly suspect that the high overhead costs of running a Reptile rescue sanctuary, in large part, centres around energy cost. To heat these animals during cold winters in large horticultural Greenhouse is a high cost indeed and recent rises in energy bills represents a massive problem.
To maintain the position, increased revenues are required, and much needed public support. Increased attendence, innovative fund raising and probably very deep pockets from owners are all necessary ingredients for continued operation!

samincornwall 10-06-2011 06:27 PM

Does anyone know the latest with these guys?

Geomyda 10-06-2011 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samincornwall (Post 470952)
Does anyone know the latest with these guys?

I visited them today and currently the plan is to close later this year. Hopefully, the publicity and genuine public appeal might find some acceptable alternative to this sad state of affairs.

alicia 18-06-2011 09:40 AM

if this is the place i'm thinking of...... i did a few weeks work experience there when i was studying animal management at college. in the time i was there quite a few of the animals actually died!
in mine, and my college friends opinion the animals there went kept all that nicely. all the tortoises were in vivariums they could have cooked in they were so hot! trying to scrape their way out the glass whilst having crickets running about inside their enclosure with some moldy lettuce left on the floor or left to soak up the remainder of water in their water dish. the smaller animals like rabbits and guinea pigs were covered in poo, escaping and getting in each others runs! and the other small rodents (degu's hamsers) pretty much all had painful looking over grown teeth ect. i think the animals will be better of being re homed instead of 'rescued' at this place.