Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Breeding and Incubation (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Advise please on incubator temps (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=73998)

pammy 26-05-2016 11:03 AM

Advise please on incubator temps

Sorry if posted on wrong thread but I replaced my old incubator with a new one a month ago no matter what I've tried I cannot get humidity past 61,tried sponges more water temps ok so must be running ok any ideas I currently have 4 eggs in only 1 is looking ok I'm surprised that it is with temps x

Gordon 26-05-2016 11:09 AM

What incubator is it.

pammy 26-05-2016 07:49 PM

Advise on humidity

Hi Gordon it's a Hovabator it's only 57 now

Gordon 26-05-2016 08:50 PM

I must admit I started with a hovabator and gave it away.
I now use a brinsea and put a takeaway tub full of water in at the same level as the eggs as opposed to in the rings in the bottom as I had a lot of problems last year with humidity and babies dieing in the shell so this way I seem to get good humidity levels and can clean out the water tray very easy so no nasty stale water that might of been growing bugs.
Don't give up on it though as I know someone who uses them with good results but try a bigger tub in there with the biggest surface area you can find.

SuziRed71 30-05-2016 11:53 PM

what kind of hygrometer are you using? I love the reliability of the hair hygrometers. I never rely on any inbuilt hygros or thermometers.. I use a collection of alcohol glass thermometers also which I lay in the vermiculite next to the eggs, the type used in aquaria.. again very accurate.

pammy 31-05-2016 08:06 AM

Advise on incubator

Thankyou for your replys I shall keep trying x

pammy 08-09-2016 08:04 PM

Still can't get incubator humidity correct

Still can't get my humidity in my viv if I turn it off goes straight up can't understand it help pls

CherryBrandy 08-09-2016 08:53 PM

Pammy , just a thought but you sure your digital HG is right? 57% is sort of room humidity and were you to open the door of the incubator it would shoot up anyway as the moisture in the room is higher than in the incubator. I would check your hygrometer by putting some water on it see if it moves or place in palm of hand...should increase.

Another suggestion is spray slightly warm water in the incubator. start with 5 sprays and work down as 5 will be too many. The substrate could be stripping the humidity out but doubt it. I think your guage is shot personally. good luck, keep us posted
CB

terrypin 06-10-2016 11:44 PM

Humidity levels in an incubator are controlled by evaporation so firstly the water needs to be underneath the heater element to get the best effect. Also unless the heater is running the water in the tray wont evaporate so try not to locate your incubator in a very warm area. When i was hatching mutiple clutches of eggs My best results were when I kept the incubators in my cellar which maintained a regular 18c even in the height of summer.