Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   More than just lettuce... (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=48175)

pwinkie03 07-02-2012 09:31 PM

More than just lettuce...

Hi all,

I've had my pancakes for 9 days now, they have been eating for the past 3 days (wahoo) and i just had a few questions about what to feed them.

Currently i'm feeding about 75% lettuce variety (from a living lettuce mix that i'm growing) and then making up the other 25% with a mix of various weeds, aloe, optunia, soaked grass pellets and dried flowers. they also have lots of spiderplants in their table. i have some pre-alpein on order to try, and am in the process of growing new weeds!

the problem is they both only eat the lettuce. (which is why i give more of it at the moment as when i only offered weeds they wouldn't touch it).

is this going to be a problem? i know they have only been eating a few days, but they have become really confident eaters quite fast, is there anything else i could add to tempt them away from just lettuce? id be very interested to see what the other pancake keepers feed their torts too?

Thanks in advance! Louise :)

NATURALIS 07-02-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwinkie03 (Post 524999)
Hi all,

I've had my pancakes for 9 days now, they have been eating for the past 3 days (wahoo) and i just had a few questions about what to feed them.

Currently i'm feeding about 75% lettuce variety (from a living lettuce mix that i'm growing) and then making up the other 25% with a mix of various weeds, aloe, optunia, soaked grass pellets and dried flowers. they also have lots of spiderplants in their table. i have some pre-alpein on order to try, and am in the process of growing new weeds!

the problem is they both only eat the lettuce. (which is why i give more of it at the moment as when i only offered weeds they wouldn't touch it).

is this going to be a problem? i know they have only been eating a few days, but they have become really confident eaters quite fast, is there anything else i could add to tempt them away from just lettuce? id be very interested to see what the other pancake keepers feed their torts too?

i think i already answered this on another site , i would try to cut out the lettuce take a look on the tortoise table site for weeds

EJ 07-02-2012 10:31 PM

You might want to look at the complete diet pellets such as NutraZu, Mazuri, Pretty Pets, Monster diet, Komodo or any of the like as an added supplement to the diet. It takes a huge amount out of the guesswork of providing good nutrition for the tortoises.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwinkie03 (Post 524999)
Hi all,

Easter Bunny 07-02-2012 10:34 PM

Mine love the NutraZu mixed with Pre Alpin, they scoff the lot and you can hear them chomping away :-D

EJ 07-02-2012 10:36 PM

That's a perfect mix. I wish I could get the Pre Alpin over here in the states.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LYNNEEASTER (Post 525027)
Mine love the NutraZu mixed with Pre Alpin, they scoff the lot and you can hear them chomping away :-D

pwinkie03 07-02-2012 10:56 PM

well already got the pre alpin on order... so now i need to go and *looks for pellets* thanks, hopefully they wont turn their noses up! Louise :)

EJ 07-02-2012 10:58 PM

I think NATURALIS sells Mazuri(UK).

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwinkie03 (Post 525030)
well already got the pre alpin on order... so now i need to go and *looks for pellets* thanks, hopefully they wont turn their noses up! Louise :)

Easter Bunny 07-02-2012 11:09 PM

I got mine from a members on here http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=47095
and
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=46052

pwinkie03 08-02-2012 04:27 PM

thank you thats really helpful :) Louise x

anna m 08-02-2012 05:17 PM

Lettuce is about all there is at the mo
when we do get some weeds you probably won't get much problem to eat dandilions
too much is bad for them of course
then just try them with a variety
my boys love jack by the hedge
petuna flowers too