Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Accidentally eaten poppy leaves (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=43743)

ethelandedna 23-06-2011 09:35 AM

Accidentally eaten poppy leaves

Please help!

Pebble has been having a whale of a time the last few days. He's had the run of the entire garden, not just his enclosure, and he's loved it. In the past it seems he has always avoided eating anything that he shouldn't so I've not fretted about him.

BUT...

yesterday he was in his enclosure - where I've only planted edible plants and weeds - and what I'm sure is a poppy has started to grow in there. I spotted it and pulled it up but not before noticing that he has munched a bit of one leaf. There are only a couple of bites out of it but should I worry.

Having trawled for threads on here, I bathed him last night and he's in there again now. He was a bit listless but he had a rude awakening and was shoved straight in the bath! He has pooped and weed.

Foodwise - do I go with the cucumber/lettuce/high water content foods to flush his system through?

PS He's a 2 year old Hermanns.

burnt toast 23-06-2011 09:58 AM

Personally I wouldnt worry too much & your doing all the right things: bath plenty to help keep him hydrated, flush his system out + I would advise to give the naughty foods you have mentioned. Dont be surprised if he does runny poo's, he's not poisoned, it will be a side affect of all the baths, naughty food!

If he's only eaten a few petals im sure he will be fine. They do seem to like to keep us on our toes worrying dont they?!

ethelandedna 23-06-2011 10:09 AM

He's on a roll at the moment. Last week he 'passed' a small white stone!! I try not to get too stressed by it all and just think, he'd do it in the wild and there would be noone there to rush around taking him to the vets. :-)

Aliza 23-06-2011 11:58 AM

Probably just bathe him to encourage poo/wee, look on the tortoise table, it will probably say how toxic it is

Aliza 23-06-2011 11:59 AM

Just looked, it says "to be avoided"

Ozric Jonathan 23-06-2011 05:32 PM

Yeah its probably not great for them to eat common poppy but neither is it a very severe poison. (Some folks even think its eaten by the tortoise in his natural habitat with no harm done).

ethelandedna 23-06-2011 05:34 PM

He did only have the teensiest bit, and he's has some cucumber and iceberg so hopefully it'll pass on through with no advserse effects.

16 shells 23-06-2011 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethelandedna (Post 474307)
He did only have the teensiest bit, and he's has some cucumber and iceberg so hopefully it'll pass on through with no advserse effects.

Just about to mention feed high water percentage food's. Also maybe some again the next day :D.