Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Housing (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Tortoise room (part 2) (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=74931)

Malwa85 15-02-2019 03:11 PM

Tortoise room (part 2)

https://youtu.be/fQazw1jpoQI

Gordon 15-02-2019 03:51 PM

Well that looks very impressive I must say.
The only thing I would say is do the torts get any of the plants or is it just salad for them.:)

Malwa85 15-02-2019 05:49 PM

Thanks.
Yes , they do get some of the plants .

Gordon 15-02-2019 05:54 PM

Do you find they will eat all the so say tortoise friendly plants as most of mine turn their noses up at cacti. I grew hundreds of them a while ago and ended up giving them away and binning the rest.:-|

Malwa85 15-02-2019 06:32 PM

Opuntia would be they favourite , agave and aloe not as much so I chop them up with lettuce or dandelions . They all go mad for hibiscus flowers but they have to wait for them for a while yet . I just bought mix seeds for tortoises but didn't have time to plant them yet.

emma_mcraf 16-02-2019 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon (Post 676638)
Do you find they will eat all the so say tortoise friendly plants as most of mine turn their noses up at cacti. I grew hundreds of them a while ago and ended up giving them away and binning the rest.:-|

As the recipient of a big bag of your gifted cacti, I diligently tended to them, burned off the sharp spikes and my torts wouldn’t touch them either! :roll:
I tried a number of times but they wouldn’t eat them. Aloe however was another thing and they’d devour it but only if I put the plant in the table. If I cut off pieces to put on their slate with their food, they’d turn their nose up. Put in the entire plant and it’d disappear!
Such particular creatures...how could anyone call torts boring?! :-D

emma_mcraf 16-02-2019 03:59 PM

The room is impressive and looks incredible since the last video with all those plants! :-)
I have a tortoise room too - though on a much smaller scale - and I only have Hermanns. What I find though is that even with the topsoil sprayed and not allowed to completely dry out, I still have a fair amount of dust and it settles on the window sill, on the top of the sockets, the edges of the tables, etc., and I have to wipe off regularly. How on earth do you keep the room looking so pristine?

Malwa85 16-02-2019 06:25 PM

With a lot of hard work Emma , my last room was dusty too, so I know exactly what you mean, this time I'am bit more organised, I clean them every day, I mix a fresh bags of peatsoil every 2 weeks, I spray the plants every morning , and ones a week I dust the plants as the ones with big leafs if they are very dusty they can't absorb the light so they don't grow as good.

emma_mcraf 16-02-2019 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malwa85 (Post 676646)
With a lot of hard work Emma , my last room was dusty too, so I know exactly what you mean, this time I'am bit more organised, I clean them every day, I mix a fresh bags of peatsoil every 2 weeks, I spray the plants every morning , and ones a week I dust the plants as the ones with big leafs if they are very dusty they can't absorb the light so they don't grow as good.

That’s dedication!
Yes, even the plant leaves get dusty and I don’t have anywhere near as many as you do.
It’s a really lovely room. :-)

Suze65 17-02-2019 07:45 AM

Wow that is a fabulous tortoise room, tortoise heaven, and I am impressed by your dedication, it’s a wonderful thing to see. I’m just starting to think tortoise again , as it’s nearly time for mine to wake up, and I’m planning where to put them all, while it’s still a bit too cold out side. It won’t be as impressive as yours, more like a bit temporary .

Let’s hope your video gets a lot of views by people looking for the correct way to keep torts indoors.