Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   A warmish Winter (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=74701)

sandy 25-01-2018 02:48 PM

A warmish Winter

I checked my GH this morning, and to my surprise I can see soil movement from one of my buried tortoises.
We in the SE have had a wind cold Winter, but not really snowy frost one, so my garden soil must be warming up, all be it slowly. This is quite early.
I know it will still be weeks before they are up, but it looks like it could be early March rather than late:0)

CherryBrandy 25-01-2018 04:37 PM

yes its strange weather again. The greenhouse today was 15 degrees despite all the covers and so warm I forgot to put gardening gloves back on. the shed are 6 degrees but felt so warm I double checked the temp guage. No stirings from mine but one had climbed nearly to top of the burrow. I have left her and covered her up more.

One had head out but still asleep so left him too as not sure he had moved much everyone else is head in.

crocuses are up and out ! CB

sandy 25-01-2018 05:47 PM

I have primroses flowering:0)

Alan1 25-01-2018 08:15 PM

after a couple of days that were warmer than some days last July we were back to ice again this morning. We have had more snow and more days of minus temps this winter than last but 2010 was the last bad one when 13 inches of snow fell end of Nov/early Dec and stayed for 3 months

emma_mcraf 25-01-2018 10:52 PM

My first yellow crocus appeared today. It's certainly been mild here.
Can't say I envy you that weather, Alan.

ClareandCo 26-01-2018 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandy (Post 673880)
I have primroses flowering:0)

Quote:

Originally Posted by emma_mcraf (Post 673886)
My first yellow crocus appeared today. It's certainly been mild here.
Can't say I envy you that weather, Alan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryBrandy (Post 673877)
yes its strange weather again. The greenhouse today was 15 degrees despite all the covers and so warm I forgot to put gardening gloves back on. the shed are 6 degrees but felt so warm I double checked the temp guage. No stirings from mine but one had climbed nearly to top of the burrow. I have left her and covered her up more.

One had head out but still asleep so left him too as not sure he had moved much everyone else is head in.

crocuses are up and out ! CB

We've got snowdrops, crocuses, hyacinths and one solitary daffodil which always appears in January!

Suze65 26-01-2018 08:33 AM

It's feels like it's been quite a cold winter here, more so than usual.

CherryBrandy 26-01-2018 11:31 AM

suns out again and I'm in tshirt ! I have really noticed an increase in buttercups and madly digging up the marshland ones but the runner ones are awful. to get rid of I think it is because it is so damp and rainy - they are thriving aaargggh. Spring nearly here. I am definitely on countdown and 1st Feb marks the count down....4 weeks afterwards it better be showing Mr blue sky... CB

Jan W 26-01-2018 06:01 PM

I have had 2 dandelion flowers so far this year!

CherryBrandy 26-01-2018 08:17 PM

did they taste nice JAn ? :-D:roll: