Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Caresheets/Links/Books (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Dietary Fibre in the diet of the Herbivorous Tortoise Testudo graeca graeca in Spain: (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=42868)

Bindi 12-05-2011 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caledonia (Post 464093)
I think I see what you are saying there Bindi, you served your time as a hairdresser with the TT and now you are capable of clipping hair in styles that Nicky Clarke could only dream about ;)

exacerley Alan :lol:

TortBabe 13-05-2011 11:01 AM

I personally love the tortoise trust website, had I not stumbled across it my torts would probably all be living in fishtanks :( ( As was advised by my local reptile shop)

Beverley 13-05-2011 03:47 PM

I do think the TT has produced some very interesting info for tortoise keepers, My first tortoises the Marginated, were raised using the TT methods and have never given me a moments worry and are perfectly smooth as Clare can tell you. I still basically follow their methods for all my lot but read up on other stuff as well. I find the articles interesting but to be honest I avoid the forum they have :)

Colette 13-05-2011 03:51 PM

:)

great analogy bindi -

Ozric Jonathan 13-05-2011 09:22 PM

Getting back to food plants for a wee minute, its not news that many med species of tortoise live in areas with calcium rich soils. The research confirms this though. We can enrich the soil we grow our food plants in by adding things to our soil. Limestone chips for long slow release, limestone flour for a quicker fix. Wood ash also works and all the ash from my wood burning stove goes on my food plant beds. Limestone flour is quite cheap in bulk. People who live on the chalk of the Sussex downs etc won't need it though.

Kirkie has been suggesting we feed some dried up stuff for a while too. Mine seem to prefer fresher food but as we all know, a hungry tort soon adapts to eat what there is.

CarapaceGrace 13-05-2011 09:50 PM

I live near ports-down hill, which is basically pure chalk, so the soil round here is full of chalk.

Therefore I think all tortoise keepers should come live near me! :D

This article just made me want to buy those pre alpin things more. Anyone know where I can get a little to try it out?

EJ 15-05-2011 11:08 AM

umm... the author has been living there... how many seasons? From this he has managed to publish are these epiphanies.

They are interesting reading of single accounts but they are nowhere near conclusive.

When I see a 10 year study published in a peer review journal... that's when I think it will get the greatest respect and notice.

For now... its and interesting anecdotal observation of a fellow tortoise keeper... but it appears to generate enough interest and funds to afford that fantastic equipment... and time to use it.

EJ 15-05-2011 11:15 AM

I have always given credit where credit was due... the owner of the TT has always been insightful with the use of technology. I'm sure someone else would have come up with the use in this field... and it might have come out better... but he was the first and did seem to light the fire for others.

Actually... he was instrumental for lighting that fire for all those other spinoffs... I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirkie (Post 464066)
Without the TT and people like Lin King there wouldn't be any online weed seed businesses with associated forums. Oh the irony. :)

ibizathetort 15-05-2011 09:56 PM

Can you cut Mohawks bindi? :D

EJ 15-05-2011 10:10 PM

Shows the reader the caliber of some of the keepers who try to derail a good conversation...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibizathetort (Post 464823)
Can you cut Mohawks bindi? :D