Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   finally eating after 3 months (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=71995)

GemJam 10-06-2014 10:46 AM

finally eating after 3 months

Hey guys,

Some of you may remember that I have been having major trouble getting my little tort to eat anything!

So, I've finally sussed it out. She doesn't like her food bowl/tray thing.
So simple, but if I scatter the food around her enclosure she has a good nibble.

At the moment she won't eat any weeds I giver her, only lambs lettuce, raddichio, romaine lettuce and pellets. This isn't the diet I want her to have, so I'll slowly try and get her to eat weeds (any suggestions on how?)

But at least she is now eating something and putting weight back on.

Rosey-Bear 10-06-2014 10:52 AM

That is good news.

I have seen recommendations of rubbing/squeezing cucumber juice on weeds to tempt them to eat but will leave a definite answer up to the experts. :)

sandy 10-06-2014 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GemJam (Post 643491)
Hey guys,

Some of you may remember that I have been having major trouble getting my little tort to eat anything!

So, I've finally sussed it out. She doesn't like her food bowl/tray thing.
So simple, but if I scatter the food around her enclosure she has a good nibble.

At the moment she won't eat any weeds I giver her, only lambs lettuce, raddichio, romaine lettuce and pellets. This isn't the diet I want her to have, so I'll slowly try and get her to eat weeds (any suggestions on how?)

But at least she is now eating something and putting weight back on.

That's how I have always fed my tortoises, the natural way. They do like to find their own food, and tug at it. Rather than having it chopped up for them. This also keeps their beaks down:0)

becciwales 10-06-2014 02:09 PM

Fussy aren't they? :lol:
I was having trouble at the same time as you, she was missing her sister. (I say she and sister in the hope they're girls, they may be boys. :lol:
Glad she's doing better xx

emma_mcraf 10-06-2014 04:27 PM

That's better news Gemma. :)
Maybe if you scatter a few weeds about with the other food she'll have a little nibble after a while. The good thing is that she's eating. :)

GemJam 10-06-2014 05:23 PM

Abby - I will try the cucumber juice and see if that works!
Sandy - I think I scattered food around because I was cleaning everything and suddenly she started eating it all. She doesn't eat every day, but is definitely eating more now. I've never cut it up for her, as I thought it was better that they tug at their food, like you said.
Becci - fussy doesn't even cover it! but hopefully its onwards and upwards now. Glad yours is doing well now too.
Emma - I think it is going to be a long process to get her to eat weeds as at the moment, I'm just glad she's eating something. I gave her only weeds the other day and she wouldn't touch it. Gave her lettuce today and she headed straight for it!

Thanks everyone, I'm just so relieved. And can't believe it was something so simple, I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier!