Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Evolving Husbandry (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Top soil (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=74406)

Laura1412 20-03-2017 03:46 PM

Top soil

Hi is it possible for one of you members who use the sterilised top soil from wicked to please put a image on as to wat it looks like as I don't want to purchase the wrong one

Suze65 20-03-2017 06:32 PM

If you go to wicks, and have a look at all the bags of different types of composts and soils etc, it's very plainly written on the bag " sterilised top soil "

Laura1412 20-03-2017 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suze65 (Post 670927)
If you go to wicks, and have a look at all the bags of different types of composts and soils etc, it's very plainly written on the bag " sterilised top soil "

Yea iv looked today there is a brand called Westland that says specially selected,sterilised & graded top soil or there is another one that is wicked brand that says on bag graded top soil steralised and lime free so just wasn't sure which the people on the forum use

Suze65 20-03-2017 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laura1412 (Post 670930)
Yea iv looked today there is a brand called Westland that says specially selected,sterilised & graded top soil or there is another one that is wicked brand that says on bag graded top soil steralised and lime free so just wasn't sure which the people on the forum use

Just so long as it says sterilised top soil, your good to go :-D

Laura1412 20-03-2017 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suze65 (Post 670935)
Just so long as it says sterilised top soil, your good to go :-D

Thank u suze65 just want to make sure it not hurt or harm my Clyde before I purchased

Jan W 20-03-2017 07:29 PM

Hi Laura
You are doing better than me! I just bought top soil as I didn't realise it should be the sterilised variety and I am pleased to say they survived. Although I did put it in the oven to dry out, so probably killed off all the bugs with the heat.

Laura1412 20-03-2017 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan W (Post 670940)
Hi Laura
You are doing better than me! I just bought top soil as I didn't realise it should be the sterilised variety and I am pleased to say they survived. Although I did put it in the oven to dry out, so probably killed off all the bugs with the heat.

Thank u Jan w bet that was a nightmare having to bake it all I'm just debating which to order from wickes for home delivery there own brand or Westland brand

emma_mcraf 20-03-2017 08:51 PM

I use the Wickes own brand that you mentioned- sterilised top soil and lime free. Never had any problems with it and I've used it for years. :-)

Laura1412 20-03-2017 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emma_mcraf (Post 670954)
I use the Wickes own brand that you mentioned- sterilised top soil and lime free. Never had any problems with it and I've used it for years. :-)

Thank u Emma I'm goin to place an order for it for home delivery av u ever had any stones or sharp bits in coz wondering if to sieve it before I use it

emma_mcraf 20-03-2017 09:24 PM

You could sieve it but I don't always. I've not found too many bits of anything sharp though little bits of 'tumbleweed' can build up if it gets too dry so I always make sure little fibrous pieces of soil are removed to prevent the torts eating it. They all eat their food off slates so don't ingest much soil unless one tries to be clever and drags some weeds away from the others as their own little stash. I have a couple of crafty smugglers. :lol: