Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Non Med Species - Information & Questions (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Pancake Breeding Stats (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=74171)

Alex 30-08-2016 07:57 AM

Pancake Breeding Stats

I thought this was quite interesting.
This is some stats from my breeding year 2016. A few eggs left but I don't think they will hatch.
Smallest hatch weight: 9g
Largest hatch weight: 17g
Shortest incubation: 3 months 10 days
Longest incubation: 6 months 21 days
Average incubation: 4 months 15 days
Shortest days till seen eating: 11 days
Longest days till seen eating: 35 days

Other observations. Egg size and hatchling weight is related to adult female size
- shortest incubation was also smallest hatchling, longest was largest. Though this may just be chance.

Jan W 30-08-2016 07:51 PM

Are these usual incubation periods for pancake torts? I'm amazed.

Also the time until seen eating.

Can this happen with other species.

CherryBrandy 30-08-2016 08:43 PM

that's really interesting! who says stats aren't interesting! they are a cute little tortoise and that weight size is very different. How many eggs and how many hatched ! from how many tortoises! we could keep this going til xmas ! CB

Ozric Jonathan 31-08-2016 11:22 PM

Wow that variation in length of incubation is huge! And not eating for a full month after hatching as well. Amazing.

Alex 03-09-2016 05:41 PM

Jan, they go through a period of diapause at the beginning (well more a sort of delay before anything starts happening) for up to 3 months and then development is about 3 months. So generally 3-6 months in the egg.
CherryBrandy, I can't remember total egg numbers but let's just say around 18, with 13 hatching from at least 5 females.
Thanks Ozric :)

Ozric Jonathan 03-09-2016 10:20 PM

Alex these torts are really beautiful, but do you find homes for them all given that a lot of us might think that hermanns or horsfields are more straightforward?

Anyfoot 04-09-2016 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex (Post 667957)
I thought this was quite interesting.
This is some stats from my breeding year 2016. A few eggs left but I don't think they will hatch.
Smallest hatch weight: 9g
Largest hatch weight: 17g
Shortest incubation: 3 months 10 days
Longest incubation: 6 months 21 days
Average incubation: 4 months 15 days
Shortest days till seen eating: 11 days
Longest days till seen eating: 35 days

Other observations. Egg size and hatchling weight is related to adult female size
- shortest incubation was also smallest hatchling, longest was largest. Though this may just be chance.

Did you have nightime drops in temps once you did the diapause period. Also were they all in diapause at the same time and temps?
Good species to work with. These guys don't require vast space and are a good tropical species for the uk enthusiasts to venture into without major expense.

CherryBrandy 04-09-2016 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex (Post 668046)
Jan, they go through a period of diapause at the beginning (well more a sort of delay before anything starts happening) for up to 3 months and then development is about 3 months. So generally 3-6 months in the egg.
CherryBrandy, I can't remember total egg numbers but let's just say around 18, with 13 hatching from at least 5 females.
Thanks Ozric :)

that's really good isn't it. More photographs please. It is great hearing about the different species and see them also. Where else but SW ! builds up a good picture and information over the years which will help others, CB

Alex 07-09-2016 05:07 PM

Hi Ozric
It is a bumper year for me and I generally keep them for at least 6 months to make sure they are eating and growing so we will see next year if there is enough demand but I would think so :)
I would probably say hermanns are a bit easier but would actually put their care as easier than that of horsfields which don't always do well in groups. They are relatively straight forward to keep and my breeding success is down to that really rather than any skill or ability :)
Any foot, it was the same incubator, no night time temp drops and the eggs were laid at different times over about a 6 month period. Diapause is always at the same time (to my knowledge) at the beginning of the incubation. So before development rather than during.
Cherry brandy , I will try and get some photos up :)

CherryBrandy 07-09-2016 05:56 PM

yes please ! I had 35 Horsfields once and only one was out on his tail for biting the neck of one of the boys (he still bears the scars). I do find Horsfields are massively gregarious little things but probably only if they grow up together. I think my lot love me !! or the dandelion treats...