Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Scabies mites dangerous for tortoises? (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=74754)

Fressine 10-04-2018 04:53 PM

Scabies mites dangerous for tortoises?

Today I noticed that a sick fox was in my tortoise enclosure. I called the police and they sent the forest warden to my house. He told me the fox had scabies, shot it and took the cadaver away and the straw where the fox was lying. But the fox might have come in contact with the rest of the straw too and maybe with the tortoises directly. Does someone know if scabies mites are dangerous for tortoises?

Alan1 12-04-2018 10:42 AM

Sorry I have no idea but according to information someone has put on the internet .. "Scabies is caused by a specific mite that burrows in the skin. In animals (mammals), it causes what is usually referred to as the "mange". The Scabies mite is not known to infest reptiles"

sandy 12-04-2018 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fressine (Post 674527)
Today I noticed that a sick fox was in my tortoise enclosure. I called the police and they sent the forest warden to my house. He told me the fox had scabies, shot it and took the cadaver away and the straw where the fox was lying. But the fox might have come in contact with the rest of the straw too and maybe with the tortoises directly. Does someone know if scabies mites are dangerous for tortoises?

Tortoises should never be kept on straw.
Far better to use shredded paper and change regularly.
Straw can get moldy which can be fatel to tortoises:0)

CherryBrandy 14-04-2018 10:34 AM

Fressine, they should be ok but you need to mind! Scabies is very easily transferred to humans and foxes can be the worse carriers. If you see any buried in the skin and you will definitely know then smother in savlon either on torts or humans. there is bathing stuff and anti histamines are good too for humans. It isn't a dirty contamination they just exist a bit like a wood lice.....CB

Fressine 15-04-2018 05:09 PM

Thank you very much for all your responses. I wasn't sure if I should take the straw out because I was afraid of getting mites on my skin. At first I attempted to do it with gloves on but it was so windy that the straw was flying around so I stopped, took a shower and put on new clothes. I suppose if they somehow had gotten on my skin I would have noticed by now. But I'm relieved now that the tortoises should be okay. I think the mites will die after some time without a host. Also I will tell my parents your advice about the shredded paper as soon as they return. I'm just currently watching our pets because my parents are on vacation for a few weeks. But of course our tortoises don't only have an enclosure with straw, they can also walk around in our garden.

CherryBrandy 21-04-2018 02:04 PM

I think your parents should treat you to a holiday after this !! CB