Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Other Animals (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Just found this little sweetheart. (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=73151)

Rowan 11-07-2015 06:24 AM

How's the little fella doing? X

pagan queen 11-07-2015 11:07 AM

Well Cookie is growing fast. He has had his first taste of seed. We are teaching him how to eat big boy food by tapping at the seed with our fingers like we are pecking and he's getting the hang of it. Bit hit and miss, he sometimes eats it and sometimes drops it but he's getting there. Still hand feeding him but not as often now, every 5 hours. He's also perching, but I don't think he's quite worked out how to get down from the perch yet, he tends to stay where he's put. He has to perch though as his toes tend to bend at odd angles when sitting flat and I don't want him to have foot problems. I've given him some "toys" leaves, seeding grasses, a flower etc. so he can flick them about and have some experience of looking for food.

Here's a few photos of him. Please excuse the state of his face and chest. He's such a messy eater and the food is caked on to his feathers. I try to clean it off but don't want to get him too wet and chilled.

Rowan 11-07-2015 12:15 PM

Oh bless him! You're doing a great job. Glad he's doing well xxx

emma_mcraf 11-07-2015 12:19 PM

He's grown, Wendy! Little Cookie is looking really great. You're doing such a brilliant job. I think he's going to be a permanent fixture in your garden as he grows up. :)

pagan queen 11-07-2015 12:53 PM

He seems to grow and change every day. He's a real little sweetheart and wants to be with me all the time. I don't think he'll go far Emma.

Star 11-07-2015 12:56 PM

What a transformation, he looks great. Well done :)

CherryBrandy 11-07-2015 04:23 PM

Cookie is a Star, and one lucky fellow .does he watch the TV? I know some birdies like the sound. CB

Daryn 11-07-2015 06:05 PM

WOW thats brilliant and well done you have done an amazing job. He is one lucky bird

Pussygalore 18-07-2015 08:00 AM

will you release him into your garden or find somewhere that can take him, a few weeks back I mentioned a young crow that fell twice into the garden carp pond well we ended up taking him to the rescue center just down the road from us. We are no longer in a position to release or keep the wild life that needs a safe home unlike where we lived before, we don't have the aviary's/big cages and I doubt he'd have lived long in the main gardens with all the foxes etc. The center though has many birds living wild that they have reared and there's plenty of food and safe places there, its a bit run down but they do a marvellous job and have lots of children that go there to help clean out at the weekends. The crow would be safer there and was already becoming 'humanised' sitting on your hand etc so I'm sure its very happy.

emma_mcraf 20-07-2015 08:40 PM

How's Cookie doing, Wendy?