Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   New Russian Owner (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=28596)

Reptiking94 30-06-2009 09:19 PM

New Russian Owner

Hi, I just like 10 minutes ago purchased a Russian Tortoise, Ive researched them on their care for about a week but was wondering a few things, first off, what Watt do you recommend for the tortoise, I got 100 but was just making sure and how often should I bathe him and how high should I fill up the water in his bath, thanks in advance, Reptiking

Kayti R 30-06-2009 09:25 PM

Hey, congrats on your new tort!

Wattage is sort of dependent on the size of what your tort is living in. Do you have a tort table? Also, if the air around your enclosure is really cold, you'd want a higher wattage heat lamp. I have a bin that's about 2.5 ft by 3.5 ft, and I put a 100 w lamp on it to keep the basking spot around 90 f.

Hatchling RTs should be bathed once a day, older ones 2-3 times a week is fine. You should fill in comfortably warm water up to the level of their shell, and make sure they can easily hold their heads above the water.

Good luck!

Alan1 30-06-2009 10:06 PM

It depends on what you are talking about, heaters, lights or what?

Reptiking94 30-06-2009 10:32 PM

Thanks lol, I got like a 3.5 foot by 2 foot tortoise table filled with critter litter, a nice hide box I made, a hollowed coconut shell as his feeding bowl and a little water dish for him to drink and its 100 watts so I think Im fine. Lol I was so nervous making sure he was okay that I havent eaten this whole day lol.

Alan1 30-06-2009 10:42 PM

100 watt heat/UVB combination bulb?

Reptiking94 30-06-2009 11:38 PM

No I have a 100 Watt heating bulb and a seperate UVB lamp.

anna m 02-07-2009 09:05 PM

Not sure about your litter, next time the best thing to use is topsoil

Steph37 03-07-2009 10:47 PM

Horsfields (Russians) should have a equal mix of soil and sand as substrate. Why not put him outside where you wont be using electricity and will be in a more natural habitat. There are some beautiful photos of designs for pens on here, and I've copied some of the ideas, but actually, in the wild, it;'s just very barren-not 'pretty' just dusty sand/soil with a cacti or two and of course a bath/water bowl. Horsfields do dig though but I've put my pens on the patio as grass isnt in their natural environment and it stops me having to put wire three foot underground! Good luck and enjoy! Cant remember what age/size he is? you may need to put wire over the top to stop birds etc

PS Tortoise breeders will tell you not to bother with a strip UV tube as it gives off so little its not worth it. The big combined UV/Heat hanging lamps are good tho if you have to stay inside

lindso3000 03-07-2009 10:49 PM

welcome from me