Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Non Med Species - Information & Questions (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Which Tortoise is Best for Me (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=28411)

Reptiking94 24-06-2009 02:48 AM

Which Tortoise is Best for Me

Hi, Im looking for a expierenced opinion on which tortoise is best for me under the following conditions, the Star Tortoise or the Cherry Headed Red Foot Tortoise. Here are my conditions, Im 15, I live in the midwest so probaly no outdoor enclosures for a while, cant grow to big, I have wide access to various plants (live near a plant nursery) and reptile products (live near a nice place called Chicago Reptile House), and cant be to difficult to build a enclosure for. By the way dont let my age fool you, just because Im 15 dosent mean I cant take care of a "hard-to-take-care-of" tortoise, Ive researched the Red Foot ALOT and am currently doing research on the Star, Im just wondering which one would best suit me, thanks in advance, Reptiking.

Lou 24-06-2009 08:35 AM

i keep reds, and i know they love their outside space.... they can also grow up to 30... in some cases 60 cms in legnth...so maybe not best if space is an issue...

I don't know anything about stars, but i'm of the understanding it would rarely be suitable for them outside in this country...

sarah 24-06-2009 12:49 PM

Hello
I keep both reds and stars

Stars are lovely- they need high heat about 20-25c cool and 30-35c warm with good UVB source. Now if you plan on just keeping these you can create a good table enclosure but a vivarium might be better to keep the heat in. I don't recommend vivariums for other species like hermanns, iberas but as i said with stars they need the high heat.
If you go for a vivarium make sure its not small but a good size where there is a cool end and warm end not just all one heat, also a good fan for ventilation.

Reds- yes they get large but if you get one from a baby will take years to grow to adult size. Vivariums are ok for these also.

reds have a great diet they can eat fruit on average 70% green 30% fruit

Reptiking94 24-06-2009 03:34 PM

Well thats what I was thinking, by the time a red foot is big my parents will be older so I doubt they will care if I make a enclosure in back so techinacaly housing isnt a issue I guess.

Reptiking94 24-06-2009 05:44 PM

I know, by the time my cherry head (if I get one) is a adult I think my parents would be cool if I built a outdoor shed just for the tortoise and have a heater in there for the winter and everything.

Bindi 24-06-2009 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reptiking94 (Post 303224)
I know, by the time my cherry head (if I get one) is a adult I think my parents would be cool if I built a outdoor shed just for the tortoise and have a heater in there for the winter and everything.

Especially if you offer to do their gardening for them!

Reptiking94 24-06-2009 10:01 PM

Lol I know, by the time the thing is big they will be in their 50's so they will probaly be convinced that I will do yard work if they let me build a pen lol, and just a side not sorry for double posting I didnt know each comment had to be approved so when I checked my post it wasnt there I posted it again, sorry.

daveg 24-06-2009 11:18 PM

Just do what I did.....

Build it while there away and let them return to a surprise new garden addition~!!!

baybay 25-06-2009 01:38 AM

Well I believe the cherry headed red-footed tortoise has the same exact husbandry as the red-foot, though it is the dwarf version. I have one, full grown, and im using an extra large guinea pig run, which offers plenty of space.

Reptiking94 25-06-2009 03:21 AM

Thanks for the advice Baybay, I was trying to find rubbermaid tubs but couldnt find any large enough, Ill look up guinea pig run ASAP lol