Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Rehoming (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Leopards x2 (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=49002)

tortilicious 21-03-2012 11:27 AM

Leopards x2

Hi The reptile rescue i do volunter work for has just got 2 leopard tortoises in approx 5 years old, the larger 1 is male and the smaller one is looking like a female but hasnt grown properly since her dog attack as a baby.
for all questions please contact morley exotic animal recuse alan or heather on 07704773117 there will be a rehoming fee but i dont know what that is
Thanks
Melaniex

EJ 21-03-2012 06:41 PM

ahhh... so they are selling a pair of leopard tortoises.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tortilicious (Post 534101)
Hi The reptile rescue i do volunter work for has just got 2 leopard tortoises in approx 5 years old, the larger 1 is male and the smaller one is looking like a female but hasnt grown properly since her dog attack as a baby.
for all questions please contact morley exotic animal recuse alan or heather on 07704773117 there will be a rehoming fee but i dont know what that is
Thanks
Melaniex

pagan queen 21-03-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EJ (Post 534163)
ahhh... so they are selling a pair of leopard tortoises.

Most re-homing centres in the UK charge a small fee. It covers things like micro chipping, castration (in the case of dogs and cats) worm treatment etc.

ClareandCo 21-03-2012 08:18 PM

This comes up regularly in discussion on another Forum. When a Rehoming Centre charges a rehoming fee they are actually selling the animals and need to be licensed to do so.

alley cat 21-03-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClareandCo (Post 534187)
This comes up regularly in discussion on another Forum. When a Rehoming Centre charges a rehoming fee they are actually selling the animals and need to be licensed to do so.

I thought that they could only ask for a voluntary contribution towards the cost of its keep, that can be a 'suggested donation' of a certain amount but the new owner can basically contribute what they want to?

EJ 21-03-2012 08:40 PM

The adoptee does have a choice... pay the 'donation' or be declared as an unsuited adoptee.

I could care less if rescue centers sell animals or charge for animals to recoup costs. It would be nice to see exactly what it is... selling animals to make up for cost of the operation.

tortilicious 21-03-2012 09:52 PM

Hi Sorry if i have started something off, i only volunter there and the fees they charge no where near cover the costs of the massive vet bills, food and lighting they have, i only volunteer doing the fundraising we do bag packs in super markets, have galas, go to schools and things like that all just to keep a roof over the animals head,
MELANIEX

LeeCherry 22-03-2012 07:55 AM

I took a look on the their website and it look like the rehoming "fee" is £100 per tort, but that is going on what they were asking for the last 5 that they had up but by the looks of it have since gone. Quite a lot IMO, that is not likely to get people queing up to help.

alley cat 22-03-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tortilicious (Post 534221)
Hi Sorry if i have started something off, i only volunter there and the fees they charge no where near cover the costs of the massive vet bills, food and lighting they have, i only volunteer doing the fundraising we do bag packs in super markets, have galas, go to schools and things like that all just to keep a roof over the animals head,
MELANIEX

Keep up the good work, my comment was just that , not a criticism :D

suttysue 22-03-2012 09:15 AM

So what if these Sancturys charge a fee, after all they have saved that particular animal from who knows what. I have no doubt that they do not make any profit for thier troubles but boy do they save a lot of unwanted or unloved pets from a life of hell
I also reckon by charging a fee they are putting off the less savory of animal adopter. If they cant gets animals for nothing the majority wont bother.
Sue