Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   TESCO SELLING TURTLES IN CHINA (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Response from Tesco (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=43811)

thunor 26-06-2011 11:11 PM

Response from Tesco

I emailed Tesco's with regards to this after seeing 'THAT' video and I got a response today:

Thank you for your email.

We appreciate you are concerned about the animal welfare issues associated with the sale of turtles in China. We have a track record of considering evidence, working with others and listening to their concerns. As a result, we have made several significant improvements to the way turtles are sold in our stores, such as making sure that the way in which they are handled is to the highest possible standard.

This approach to animal welfare and the sale of live turtles - seeking out research, acting on it and educating customers - is unprecedented by any retailer operating in China and we hope that these actions will help to drive up standards throughout the supply chain.

Some organisations are asking us to stop selling live turtles completely. While we are committed to upholding the very important issue of animal welfare, we also need to balance different cultural attitudes, in this case respecting the different traditions, expectations and values on this issue that exists in China.

Turtles are a popular and traditional part of the Chinese diet and, having addressed these important animal welfare concerns, we continue to sell turtles in our stores in China.

Thank you for your interest.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us at customer.service@tesco.co.uk quoting TES9929791X.

Kind Regards

Melanie Newman
Customer Service Manager
Tesco Customer Service

So they are still doing it.......

Geomyda 27-06-2011 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunor (Post 474893)
I emailed Tesco's with regards to this after seeing 'THAT' video and I got a response today:

We appreciate you are concerned about the animal welfare issues associated with the sale of turtles in China. We have a track record of considering evidence, working with others and listening to their concerns. As a result, we have made several significant improvements to the way turtles are sold in our stores, such as making sure that the way in which they are handled is to the highest possible standard.

This approach to animal welfare and the sale of live turtles - seeking out research, acting on it and educating customers - is unprecedented by any retailer operating in China and we hope that these actions will help to drive up standards throughout the supply chain.

Some organisations are asking us to stop selling live turtles completely. While we are committed to upholding the very important issue of animal welfare, we also need to balance different cultural attitudes, in this case respecting the different traditions, expectations and values on this issue that exists in China.

Turtles are a popular and traditional part of the Chinese diet and, having addressed these important animal welfare concerns, we continue to sell turtles in our stores in China.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us at customer.service@tesco.co.uk quoting TES9929791X.

Kind Regards

Melanie Newman
Customer Service Manager
Tesco Customer Service

Yes indeed,
There are effectively two issues here. One referred to as Animal welfare, which is a subject caught up in cultural double talk. The second, sustainable resourse, in the supply chain. Having worked upon this subject and viewed the scientific paper commissioned by Tesco themselves a couple of years ago. I can say that the document was a rather poorly executed work which set to vindicate a rather shabby marketing position for this very high profile multi national retail group.
I am afraid, that the UK based shareholders might be rather shocked to know too much more about this trade!:roll:

Naturalee 13-07-2011 12:37 AM

I'm a bit behind with this Tesco subject, so forgive my ignorance, but aren't all the turtles wild caught?! Shouldn't they stop selling them on that basis alone, due to it surely being unsustainable from a conservation point of view!?

anna m 13-07-2011 02:38 AM

They are wild caught Naturalee
but they don't appear to care about this

Alan1 13-07-2011 10:42 AM

Being wild caught wouldn't make a difference I doubt, fish are wild caught. it would make a difference when they become low in numbers then limits would be put on like the fishing has

tilly790 13-07-2011 12:11 PM

tesco

I wrote to tesco some time ago..i dont think they are really bothered about anything only profit..i wont buy anything from tesco stores now..

terig 13-07-2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tilly790 (Post 478858)
I wrote to tesco some time ago..i dont think they are really bothered about anything only profit..i wont buy anything from tesco stores now..

Totally agree with you. They are taking over small villiages, driving out small business and their ethical standards leave alot to be desired, judging by the previous posts re turtles. So I am with you boycotting tescos ....

jonesy 14-07-2011 06:32 PM

Yes we had a tesco put just outside our market town and we already have 3 small supermarkets. A lot of people do not like it and I would not step foot in it. My Beaver scouts could not go and help with bag packing when they opened last year without a parent because I refused to do it, and a lot of parents refused once I told them why.

My sons go in occasionally just to wind me up, but I refuse to eat the food and go and get my own from one of the others. :razz:

Geomyda 13-01-2012 05:02 AM

Tesco value takes a tumble!
Makes one think???

Geomyda 13-01-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geomyda (Post 519431)
Tesco value takes a tumble!
Makes one think???

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/d...rtleposter.jpg
A character seen trying to booking a place at the next Tesco plc AGM:?:

Beverley 13-01-2012 06:22 PM

I too wrote to them a few years ago and didn't get a reply.
So for the last 5 years I have stopped going into it, not keen on Asda either as they are owned by Walmart who apparently aren't much better. I was not disappointed to see their shares take a nose dive, I was quite pleased. Although it will take a lot more than that to put them under.

BirdieF18 08-02-2012 07:06 PM

I highly doubt that they are handling the poor turtles better after seeing this video this is disgusting it makes me so sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen

Easter Bunny 08-02-2012 07:13 PM

So cruel.
You can't change tradition and what different countries eat but its the way they are so cruely kept before purchase xx

knottyedge 04-03-2012 07:14 PM

must be horrible for the poor turtles :(

Geomyda 07-06-2012 09:28 AM

avaaz.org

http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/Tes...rkets/?ejPgBbb
seems like another petition being sought on this subject?

Easter Bunny 07-06-2012 01:48 PM

Signed!!!!

dragonzuiko 07-06-2012 03:29 PM

signed as well

Geomyda 23-07-2012 10:08 PM

weibo

Interesting article on the Radio 4 crossing continent series tonight. A Chinese version of Twitter caled "weibo" has in a very short period gained huge popularity in the country with more than 300 million users. The report says that some of the positive effects is a real change in cultural attitudes in some of the most concerning traditions in the country. It cites, the effect on the trade in certain species, including Dogs which for generations have formed part of the food culture. From the report, it indicates that mood for change is now prevalent and issues perhaps including the consumption of Tortoise and Turtle from unsustainable collection in the wild might be considered.
The medium has the potential to effect change and just maybe, a weibo thread might gain ground on this issue?

Dan UK 02-01-2013 06:00 PM

Jesus this is shocking stuff! Never given it a single though until this thread.

Chinese are weird folk. They'll eat anything that moves it seems!

EJ 05-01-2013 05:12 PM

You really have to be aware that the opinion in this post is heavily slanted.

Yea... culinary expertise coming from an Englishman.

My point here is that this kind of opinion is an extreme. You can think of it along the lines of breeding dogs... or... sheep... or... cattle... or... chickens... or... fish... or... prawn...for food.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan UK (Post 587739)
Jesus this is shocking stuff! Never given it a single though until this thread.

Chinese are weird folk. They'll eat anything that moves it seems!

johnking 29-08-2013 11:42 AM

Respect the traditions. What has being trussed up and lying on a block of ice in a chilled cabinet, perhaps for days or weeks without food got to do with tradition. Its to do with profit and what they can get away with.
But for international law, Tesco would doubtless sell, Rhino horn, tiger parts, elephant and other highly profitable lines.
I've been through China and seen it. Other groups have complained to Tesco. Same response, they have a very convenient answer. Respecting tradition.

JohnK

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunor (Post 474893)

Kind Regards

Melanie Newman
Customer Service Manager
Tesco Customer Service

Geomyda 02-09-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnking (Post 618054)
Respect the traditions. What has being trussed up and lying on a block of ice in a chilled cabinet, perhaps for days or weeks without food got to do with tradition. Its to do with profit and what they can get away with.
But for international law, Tesco would doubtless sell, Rhino horn, tiger parts, elephant and other highly profitable lines.
I've been through China and seen it. Other groups have complained to Tesco. Same response, they have a very convenient answer. Respecting tradition.

JohnK

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/0...97800N20130809
It has been recently reported that Tesco is to sell off all or part of it's Chinese supermarket subsidiary.
Perhaps the investment in this market has "turned turtle"?

EJ 02-09-2013 06:13 PM

Good was done... the market continues... only not in TESCOS hands... makes sense to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geomyda (Post 618536)
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/0...97800N20130809
It has been recently reported that Tesco is to sell off all or part of it's Chinese supermarket subsidiary.
Perhaps the investment in this market has "turned turtle"?

Geomyda 02-09-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EJ (Post 618547)
Good was done... the market continues... only not in TESCOS hands... makes sense to me.

Ed, I take it that the concerns expressed about the export of trapped turtles in the USA, which are being exported to this market is an issue you are relaxed about too?
http://www.ibtimes.com/chinas-demand...less-regulated

EJ 02-09-2013 06:36 PM

If it's sustainable take... not a problem at all. If it's released by USFW... it is legal take. There are populations of turtles in the US that should be culled due to habitat fragmentation and lack of predation.

As far as I know turtle take in the us is heavily regulated and controlled thoughout the country. There are also farms trying to supply the market but is being met with misplaced bunny hugger resistance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geomyda (Post 618548)
Ed, I take it that the concerns expressed about the export of trapped turtles in the USA, which are being exported to this market is an issue you are relaxed about too?
http://www.ibtimes.com/chinas-demand...less-regulated

Geomyda 02-09-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EJ (Post 618549)
If it's sustainable take... not a problem at all. If it's released by USFW... it is legal take. There are populations of turtles in the US that should be culled due to habitat fragmentation and lack of predation.

As far as I know turtle take in the us is heavily regulated and controlled thoughout the country. There are also farms trying to supply the market but is being met with misplaced bunny hugger resistance.

Is this actually sustainable?

EJ 10-09-2013 10:39 PM

Do you honestly think this is a new practice?????? Give it a little thought... in the 50s, 60s, 70s... there was no regulation... then there was regulation... why aren't these animals extinct??????... sustainable take.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geomyda (Post 618618)
Is this actually sustainable?

Geomyda 11-09-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EJ (Post 619231)
Do you honestly think this is a new practice?????? Give it a little thought... in the 50s, 60s, 70s... there was no regulation... then there was regulation... why aren't these animals extinct??????... sustainable take.

The whole genus of Cuora, are very demonstrably depleted in the wild, with several species classed as extinct in their natural habitat. The reason for this, can be attributed to an unsustainable trade which is reported, documented and widely accepted.
Your reference to "sustainable take" needs, I would suggest to be qualified and explained?
Where do you get your information from?:-?