Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Bed time at last (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=74905)

Gordon 23-11-2018 02:23 PM

Bed time at last

Well I have finally boxed all my hibernating tortoises up they are very late this year as normally they are all down for the 5th of November.
It's been a very odd year this time all started off looking promising with three laying not long after getting up and then nothing so out of seven egg laying female hermans I managed three babies as all of the other eggs laid were infertile.
My greaca greaca seem to have done ok and have produced lots of babies.
Maybe it was the hot summer we had that they didn't like who knows :)

sandy 23-11-2018 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon (Post 676269)
Well I have finally boxed all my hibernating tortoises up they are very late this year as normally they are all down for the 5th of November.
It's been a very odd year this time all started off looking promising with three laying not long after getting up and then nothing so out of seven egg laying female hermans I managed three babies as all of the other eggs laid were infertile.
My greaca greaca seem to have done ok and have produced lots of babies.
Maybe it was the hot summer we had that they didn't like who knows :)

I think tortoises body clocks this year, were so confused with the difference in temps and weather, its not surprising.
I also had one female ibera and one box turtle that have only just gone down:0)

tortydat 23-11-2018 02:51 PM

All my hibernators went down within a week of when they usually do but the eggs laid were very strange as like you Gordon I had lots of infertile Hermanns and iberas but the graecas were fine and the Marginated who don't usually produce many babies at all had seventeen! Just goes to show that there is an awful lot about tortoises we don't know.

Suze65 23-11-2018 03:36 PM

All mine went down by beginning of November. It’s been a very odd year here ! But we are getting back to normal now, there’s no doubt about it, not your average year ! But hoho Christmas is nearly here, no ones going to spoil that, we’ve got a really big church and we do Christmas really well here :-D

Gordon 24-11-2018 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandy (Post 676270)
I think tortoises body clocks this year, were so confused with the difference in temps and weather, its not surprising.
I also had one female ibera and one box turtle that have only just gone down:0)

Mine were behaving very odd all year they were all showing signs of wanting to lay but to no avail.
And I still had two hermans up last weekend even though the others were all sleeping the other odd thing was I had several dig down in the greenhouse over the summer when it was really hot which they have never done before.

CherryBrandy 25-11-2018 02:36 PM

yes do you think the aestivation affected the hibernation this year because I had similar during summer then those that normally just dig in sept/October time were up walking round when my fingertips were cold so I know it was cold ! CB