Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   outside worries ! (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=22978)

3lli3 xx 28-12-2008 05:16 PM

outside worries !

hi, just wondering little jasper is only 6 months and i am in th e process of getting him an outdoor enclosure i am still new to all this so just wondering when is it alright to take him out?, can he eat the grass?, i am just a bit confused as i have seen some peeps posting pics of their torts out in the winter , is this good? altough it might be different considering mine is still a hatchling. Please note this enclosure is not perminent it has all the torts needs but is just for a play in not an over night job!:?::?::?:

TortMad 28-12-2008 05:42 PM

I would wait now until spring arrives and it starts to warm up. I have had my torts out lately, but my guys are quite big so can cope with the cold much better than a hatchling

sandy 28-12-2008 05:47 PM

If he/she is a horsfield or med tortoise, then its far too cold outside this time of the year. You have to wait until the Spring, if we get one:)
Provided he/she has shelter, and an escape proof enclosure then they can stay outside 24/7 from May onwards depending where you live. If up north then they can go out from the end of May onwards.

Kirkie 28-12-2008 05:48 PM

I think most of the pictures you'll see of torts outside are going to be non Med species, Leopards and the like. These will have heating available to allow them to reach sufficient body temperature so they can wander outside. I wouldn't take a youngster like your's out until a warm spring day at the earliest.

Seems a long way off at the moment doesn't it :(

Mrs Frog 28-12-2008 05:56 PM

I have bought a childs wooden sand pit for my 3 to go out in,but i think it will be april or May before it will be warm enough

Paulg1 28-12-2008 07:14 PM

I've had my guys out all week but I live in georgia,usa and it has been in the 70f range. I will let my leo and sully out when it's colder but my hatchling ibera I wouldn't let out unless it was at least 60f and only for a little while. If you've seen my pics of my guys outside don't be confused, I don't live in europe.

anna m 28-12-2008 07:18 PM

Don't rub it in Paulg1. It's freezing here :)

beckyzazou 28-12-2008 07:47 PM

I would definately wait a little while, it has been quite cold, and reading the weather forcast, there is more to come.

Hatchlings in my opinion are not as hardy to temp changes and the Med is certainly warmer than the UK.....

I do bring my torts in at night even in the summer. Really, only because I'm a softy and can't sleep thinking of burgulars cats etc. My enclosures are preditor and weather proof, but I sleep well when all my animals are tucked up safely for the night

Paulg1 28-12-2008 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anna m (Post 239129)
Don't rub it in Paulg1. It's freezing here :)

Sorry Anna. I'm really not trying to rub it in.

Ozric Jonathan 29-12-2008 12:30 AM

Hi Ellie. My Hermanns don't eat grass except very occasionally, so its not food, but its not a poison either. Your tort won't be able to go outside till spring and even then you'll need to watch the temperatures.

Some people use a rabbit cage which can go outside when its a nice day. Your tortoise will need to be protected from birds, cats and other hazards. Whatever you use outside there must also be a shady place to hide in it. Its possible to make a wooden frame and fix chicken wire to it to make a cage and this can work well. The bigger the outside place is the better really, but even a small thing is very much better than nothing, and you cna easily improve on it over time. Somehting that lets the natural sun light in and keeps predators out.