Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Hi! (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=74318)

Dr Cooper 11-01-2017 07:39 PM

Hi!

My name's Paul, and my wife Lin and I introduced our 13 year old testudo graeca to our home in Gloucester last September. His name is Dr Cooper (the breeder thought that Sheldon was too common).

He's currently hibernating. When he wakes up he's bound to be hungry.

I bought a "Luxury Tortoise Seed Pack" from Shelled Warriors as we'd like to grow as much of Dr Cooper's food as possible. We've cleared a raised veg patch in readiness.

This initial buy is an experiment to see how we get on. Our plan is to start seeds off in a propagator and them plant them out to the veg bed when they're strong enough. The seeds will be planted at weekly intervals to ensure a steady supply.

As I'm new to growing weeds - on purpose anyway - what's the earliest I can plant the seeds in a propagator? We're working on an assumption that Dr Cooper will wake up in March, so it'd be nice to have some fresh, home grown weeds for him by then.

Thanks in advance
Paul

Ozric Jonathan 12-01-2017 12:27 AM

Hi Paul and a big welcome to you and Dr Cooper.

Sorry I can't help with the propagator question - I did buy one but never got round to doing anything with it!

I have raised plants from seeds though and it seems to take for ever to get them to a decent size. I switched to buying little plants and growing them on which worked better for me.

tortydat 12-01-2017 08:59 AM

It's going to depend where you grow on your plants once they have germinated. My weeds grow on well in an unheated greenhouse from about March onwards but it depends on the temperature and they also need longer periods of daylight to do well also.

Suze65 12-01-2017 11:54 AM

Hi Paul and welcome, I love the name Dr Cooper ( it took me a few seconds to get that ) but very good. Seeds need cold to get started and very poor soil, so in March you could just chuck them into a flower bed out side. Autumn is a good time to sow them out side, then they come up in the spring.

CherryBrandy 12-01-2017 12:55 PM

Big welcome Dr C and Paul, Lin. I would be interested to see how you go in a propagator as I was thinking of getting one. What I have found is that seeds are great little survivors and their little heads get bigger and bigger and then the parasites, damp, cold or bugs knaw away at them...! soooo I think this is an excellent experiment to see how they all fair. the other thing I notice to is that any weedy sort of plant grow so fast as soon as they are grown they outgrow the unit. I chuck packets of seeds collected from year before or sell off ones round the garden. The only ones I haven't had success with is clover but then someone said not to feed clover as it can make the tortoise a bit loopy...who knows. mine are pretty loopy as they but loveable all the same. Keep us posted and pickies always go down well, CB

Jan W 13-01-2017 07:38 PM

Well I'm really slow as I don't understand Dr Cooper.

I grew some weeds in a tray over the winter and placed them in the utility room. These were from Shelled Warriors. They grew, but were rather spindly. I gave them to a neighbour as his tortoise has not been hibernating. Apparently he ate the whole tray in one go!

So, definitely worth starting off, but make sure cool, not too cold and not too warm.

On my experience wondering if a propagator would be too warm.

Be interested to see how you get on.

Once you have some weeds outside you can of course put a clotch over them as many of them are quite hardy if sheltered and not really cold. In spite of this weather I can still find weeds in sheltered spots.

Dr Cooper 14-01-2017 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan W (Post 669765)
Well I'm really slow as I don't understand Dr Cooper.

Big Bang Theory - Dr Sheldon Cooper!

emma_mcraf 15-01-2017 05:44 PM

Hi Paul. Welcome to you, Lin and Dr Cooper. Not sure you'll get many coming up before March, but you can try. They like to go through a cold spell and then come up nicely in The spring. So I tend to sow mine in the autumn too.
You could always go for a nice walk with a trowel and see if you can find some plantain, cat's ear or sowthistle and transplant them in your garden in a nice pot, roots and all.
I sometimes go for a stroll with a trowel........;-)

CherryBrandy 15-01-2017 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emma_mcraf (Post 669791)
Hi Paul. Welcome to you, Lin and Dr Cooper. Not sure you'll get many coming up before March, but you can try. They like to go through a cold spell and then come up nicely in The spring. So I tend to sow mine in the autumn too.
You could always go for a nice walk with a trowel and see if you can find some plantain, cat's ear or sowthistle and transplant them in your garden in a nice pot, roots and all.
I sometimes go for a stroll with a trowel........;-)

is that legal in Devon ! :D I think you can pick but not the roots, who on earth made that rule.....! or is that just in the Eden Project...I jest , CB

Jan W 15-01-2017 09:37 PM

Well - we are all a bit bonkers. Who ever thought we would be going out and about digging up weeds to transplant in our gardens. My husband still laughs at the days I would be in my dressing gown looking for weeds before I went to work so he won't give them rubbish. So much easier not they have their garden when they are awake.

Those torts are so spoilt!