Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Hermanni Hermanni Breeders (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=36635)

robertsutton1978 03-07-2010 06:24 PM

Hermanni Hermanni Breeders

Hello All
This is my first post and I was wondering if anyone can help me ?
I've decided to get a tortoise after wanting one for years, I'm totally new to this, although I have kept 2 red eared terrapins for over 20 years now.
After researching for a few months I've decided on a Hermanns, Hermanni Hermanni.
However the only dealers I've found are up in Scotland or Norfolk.
As I'm in Coventry this is quite a trek. Does anybody on here know of any breeders more local ? I have seen so called 'breeders' selling via the internet, but I want to get one from a proper breeder.
Also would you agree with my choice ? The main reason I picked it was that it appeared to be a good beginers tortoise that dosen't grow to a large size.

Sorry for the long post, but any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Rob

Bindi 03-07-2010 07:01 PM

Hi Rob, and welcome to SW!

Hermanni hermanni are charming tortoises and you're right in thinking they do not grow to a particularly large size. However, i think you'll find that finding true Hermanni hermanni is quite a problem in itself. Most breeders of this relatively uncommon sub-species of Hermans tend to keep the hatchlings to grow on and breed from themselves to preserve the line.

Any subspecies of Hermans ae a good beginner tort (if there is one!) as are Mediterranean Spur Thighs (Testudo graeca Ibera) I've been told that Hermans have managed to adapt the best to the UK climate.

I would also like to say well done for intending to buy from a UK breeder, rather than on-line or from a petshop.

Many of the on-line dealers and petshops tend to sell imported torts which although isn't a problem in itself...many people have lovely healthy imported torts...it has been reported that there is more of a chance of them having high worm loads, amongst other things.

Whether this is true or not I couldn't say, but I personnally wouldn't take the risk when there are plenty of UK breeders (depending on what you want) out there

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask, there is always someone ready and willing to help :p

Good luck with your choice

yuna1971 03-07-2010 07:05 PM

Firstly welcome robertsutton1978.
I am sure someone will be along to answer your point about breeders, and reputable breeders. You might be able to source something via this site. Keep checking back to this post. Or pop on chat later and ask the questiion?

I just wanted to make sure you are ok with the set up for your tortoise.
Go for a tortoise table, not a vivarium -if you can. Pet shops will palm you off with more expensive vivariums but a tortoise table is the way to go. The Shelled Warrior shop sells them - click on the link to the shop section, down the forum page abit.
For inside the table - go for either Soil/sand (mixing together - going for about 70% soil &30% sand as an example ratio) or just use plain sterilised topsoil (like you would get from B & Q or Homebase - those big bags).
Your tort table might include a hide - which is where little hermann would go for a nap, to escape the heat and thermoregulate, and to sleep at night. If it doesnt include a hide built in. You can buy something called a Habba Hut which is a little log hide, and this is fine for a little tort. Place the hide at the cool end of the table.
The other end would have your basking light - and along the side of your table would be your UV strip bulb. Or...you can go for a combined UV & basking bulb.
Then you can decorate your table.
Well, I guess I am jumping the gun abit but at least it gives you a head start on what to look for and what you will need. I didnt want you to find during your search - coming accross bad advice or info by a pet shop or anything. So this was just so you could get things ready, if and when you get your lovely tort. xxx :)
Hope this helps and I wish you luck. Post on here about ANYTHING and everything that you have questions about - you will build up your knowledge in no time by doing that. xx :)

***Just seen Bindi's post - fab advice there and I say as well, well done for trying to source a breeder :) :). I have a Testudo Gracea Ibera (Med Spur thigh) - Lily. He is an absolute JOY to me. Lots of people on here, will tell you what his personality is like. If you want proof, let me know and I can send you a link of one of my 4 'LILY' movies that will show you up close - his quirky personality and cheekiness;) ! Also the link underneath my pic in my signature!**

TortBabe 03-07-2010 07:56 PM

Hi Robert, welcome to SW :p I can't help you find a breeder, but I have 2 Hermanni Hermannis myself and they are a great species to keep, very good natured gentle little torts. Good luck in finding a breeder x

Eire_Ade 03-07-2010 08:21 PM

Hi Robert,

Welcome to Shelled Warriors.

Great advice so far, I have only ever kept med spur thighs, even as a youngster in the mid to late 70's, all of which never survived like so many others of their time, but I have had a creep (group) of Iberas for the past 5 years now and having great reward from them, their are 5 alltogether in this creep and all have little personalities.

Jennyjack (JJ) is the bossy aggressive one, bites your fingers if you put them near him and stomps to warn you off, and is a real gutsp pig when it comes to feeding.
Penny who is a clutch mate of JJ is a real sweetie, she is so gentle and is delicate in everything she does, she is perfectly smooth grown as if she is a real lady watching what she eats and how she looks.
Noname (NN) is another male not as aggressive but tries his best to be bossy stomping around when JJ tries to warn me off.
Buttons is a hardier female, she takes no crap off JJ or NN if she wants a leaf or a place in the group pile she does her utmost best to keep it.
Gem is the baby of the group who was not well early in her life with a nasty eye infection but she has bounced back and is now doing really well, but she is a slow grower like Penny and as such has remained a real little cutie, but she holds her own with the lads in the group too.

I feed and keep my tortoises in the more traditional manner, feeding weeds flowers with very occassional salad leaves especially when weeds are in abundance.

They go outdoors as often as possible when weather and circumstances permit, indoors they have a tortoise table and combined heat and UV lamp.

I hope this helps.

yuna1971 03-07-2010 09:13 PM

That sounds like a wonderful family of Ibera's Ade!! I think my Lily would fit right in with them. They all sound fabulous!!.. It sounds like you have your work cut out with them but I expect like me - they are so cheeky and full of fun, you get everything back what you put in..
xxx Nice to see you on here Ade!! :) Hope you are well. Imight have to tap you up for Ibera advice...in the future, if thats ok??

yuna1971 04-07-2010 01:29 PM

hi Robert- how is the search going?? There are some breeders on this forum i think, or at least they may have torts for sale. But not sure if they are hermanni hermanni. Go on...get an Ibera! They are fantastic!!! :D :D Well, I just wanted to plug them as thats what i have...I am sure they all are fantastic, and what ever you chose - good luck.xx

NATURALIS 04-07-2010 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertsutton1978 (Post 389080)
Hello All
This is my first post and I was wondering if anyone can help me ?
I've decided to get a tortoise after wanting one for years, I'm totally new to this, although I have kept 2 red eared terrapins for over 20 years now.
After researching for a few months I've decided on a Hermanns, Hermanni Hermanni.
However the only dealers I've found are up in Scotland or Norfolk.
As I'm in Coventry this is quite a trek. Does anybody on here know of any breeders more local ? I have seen so called 'breeders' selling via the internet, but I want to get one from a proper breeder.
Also would you agree with my choice ? The main reason I picked it was that it appeared to be a good beginers tortoise that dosen't grow to a large size.

Sorry for the long post, but any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Rob

You don't state where about you are but as far as i'm aware there arn't any dealers in scotland.

Alan1 04-07-2010 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red foot marg (Post 389354)
You don't state where about you are

he does, it's Coventry .. "As I'm in Coventry this is quite a trek" he said

yuna1971 04-07-2010 05:26 PM

Now I would have missed that Al, with my skipping.....:D