Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Evolving Husbandry (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   closed chambers (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=73165)

vikki 06-07-2015 11:13 PM

closed chambers

I have been reading a lot on an international (but mainly American) forum about closed chambers, these generally appear to be similar to vivariums but are kept very humid and seem to mainly be used for young tortoises in the belief that it produces smoother growth. Anyone with any thoughts etc? There is also somebody doing an experiment at not using heat lamps but instead using lights/uv and heat panels - in view of the increasing awareness of the dehydrating effects of heat lamps it could be interesting to see results. I realise that as much time outdoors is always best but wondered what others views of these sort of methods are?

sandy 07-07-2015 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikki (Post 655231)
I have been reading a lot on an international (but mainly American) forum about closed chambers, these generally appear to be similar to vivariums but are kept very humid and seem to mainly be used for young tortoises in the belief that it produces smoother growth. Anyone with any thoughts etc? There is also somebody doing an experiment at not using heat lamps but instead using lights/uv and heat panels - in view of the increasing awareness of the dehydrating effects of heat lamps it could be interesting to see results. I realise that as much time outdoors is always best but wondered what others views of these sort of methods are?

The Americans have a much different approach to tortoise keeping than we do (although they say they don't) a lot of them are collectors rather than keepers.
Viva can be used for certain Chelonia, but on the whole most here would not use them. I for one like too keep my tortoises as much like the wild as possible. Usually in the wild Chelonia have different temperatures through out the day, which in most viva this is impossible, and good air circulation is near impossible.
I can grow smooth tortoises my way. I keep small and adults the same way.

vikki 07-07-2015 08:30 AM

This is what I am thinking and they seem to really shun open tables completely. Some of the set ups are quite bizarre and completely encased in plastic and foil and you cant even see into them but I suppose this goes with them being collectors as I would hate to not see my tortoises. I do wonder how they thermoregulate in this enclosures and what other health problems may be caused, on the other hand in the wild they would not have one hot spot and then cool areas - the ambient temperature would be high and they would then have to find a cooler area in the shade, by digging etc. Don't worry I am not going to go and buy big sheets of plastic(!!) but find it interesting to get views on different forms of husbandry as I think we should always consider all the pros and cons of different methods:)

Daryn 07-07-2015 01:16 PM

As far as the lamps go Im actually going to try and not use them this year. Im wanting to use the tube heater only and see how it goes instead. I hate them lamps blasting down on top of them.

CherryBrandy 07-07-2015 02:28 PM

I think too vikki I remember reading some american's in cooler climes didn't like tables because in the winter they lost so much heat and didn't see the point of that so they opted for more closed in type. Interesting though. I tend to like the natural effect rain or shine but can see overwintering etc they are ideal. I actually could collect them too - I know that is sad or perhaps weird !! but there is something said for the wooden ones, ornate ones bit like wooden sheds.....and hutches.

pagan queen 07-07-2015 02:50 PM

I have just had a look at some of them and they look amazing. I keep mine in a viv and they are thriving. Nice shells and happy torts. I don't use the UV lamps, just a normal bulb for heat and a stat in the winter. It is easier to keep the humidity up in a viv. I wouldn't change to a table now even if I had the room.

emma_mcraf 07-07-2015 04:35 PM

I hadn't heard of these closed chambers prior to your post. Off to google them....

Pussygalore 07-07-2015 04:59 PM

whats the difference between them and a wooden viv? apart from many seem to be home made

Ozric Jonathan 07-07-2015 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pussygalore (Post 655256)
whats the difference between them and a wooden viv? apart from many seem to be home made

They are literally airtight. To make sure there is no movement of air or escape of moisture. Like a bottle garden only with a cork.

vikki 07-07-2015 11:09 PM

They do seem to vary a lot - some are quite attractive and others look horrendous all wrapped in plastic - their main concern seems to be keeping humidity in especially for smaller growing tortoises and even in areas where they have ideal weather they do not seem to put them out at all - I have to say a lot of them do seem to grow smooth shells but difficult to know if this is as a result of habitat or other factors. also not sure what the reasoning behind it is as surely in the wild they would never be subject to such high levels of humidity, but I suppose neither would they have basking lamps:lol:
There always seem to be very convincing pros and cons about different methods- table/viv/closed chamber that it can be difficult to know what to do for the best and then there are new ideas such as not using lamps but tubes/panel heaters - I guess this ids part of what makes keeping tortoises interesting but also confusing and slightly frustrating as a newbie to know what to do for the best - we will never really be able to give them the same conditions that they have in the wild so what to do for the best?!!:confused: