Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Where to Buy and Bargains (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   lots of gardening stuff at lidl's next week...... (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=13280)

jimbobalero 28-02-2008 11:33 AM

lots of gardening stuff at lidl's next week......

....including a cold frame Lidl Website

SpanishD 28-02-2008 11:46 AM

Fantastic...thanks for that :D

We have Lidl here so I will see if I can get hubby to take me on MOnday :lol:

Sara 28-02-2008 11:59 AM

This is going to sound quite silly, but I am new to this still :oops: Oh well here goes. The cold frame that is mentioned, is this an ideal outdoor enclosure? I only have a very tiny tort, but I would presume he still needs to go outside and there is a Lidl about 5 mins away, so would this be ok?

Pussygalore 28-02-2008 12:15 PM

they work very well, you'll have to mount it on either wood or bricks and leave a gap in the base to make the door, the height of the base will depend on the size of the tort, this is much easier than trying to cut the frame about, most can be easily screwed to something I use the snad/soil mix inside as they will bury themselves, you can shut him in at night by simply putting a brick or similar across the door, fastening it to a base also makes it a bit more sturdy and secure, we also sat ours on a few paving slabs first stops them digging out or things digging in, thats a good price, some also use the little plastic cloches as they will also make a nice little shelter again pegged to the ground,

Pussygalore 28-02-2008 12:28 PM

anyone noticed the tub of wildflower seeds I might have a look at them maybe they'd grow sprinked around the tort garden, they're very cheap

jimbobalero 28-02-2008 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpanishD

I don't think the coldframe is on sale till thursday, but don't quote me on that

Sara 28-02-2008 12:40 PM

Thanks for that Pussygalore (sorry I don't know your name :oops: ) Would it be ok to leave such a small tort outside for the night? He is about 2" in lengh I don't know how old he is, but I would presume not that old.

jimbobalero 28-02-2008 12:45 PM

I would be tempted to bring him in at that size, but if you want to leave him out makes sure you check the weather forecast and that the enclosure is secure as he will be pretty easy to lose.

Just to clarify the cold frame is ideal to go in an enclosure as it will warm up fairly quick but not suitable as an enclosure as it blocks UV and wouldn't provide a temperature gradient. Check the housing thread to see what others have done.

bernards mom 28-02-2008 12:51 PM

on the gardening section for 01.03 there are a pack of 6 box hedging. does anyone know what they are and if they would be ok to use in outside enclosure?
thankyou

SpanishD 28-02-2008 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbobalero
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpanishD

I don't think the coldframe is on sale till thursday, but don't quote me on that

:oops: ahhh yes, I see that now!! I'm hoping we have the same offer here!