Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Breeding and Incubation (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   help incubator failure (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=72766)

johnathan9757 24-02-2015 09:56 AM

help incubator failure

Hi all I have woken to my worst nightmare, I went to my incubator this morning and it appears to have failed and was only running at 21 or 22 degrees c with my Hermann tort eggs in it most of which appear fertile they have been incubating for 21 days and a couple that have been in a week and just stating to chalk, I know it was running at the correct temps about midnight. I have managed to quickly set up my poultry incubator and put them in covered up as it is a forced air incubator whilst I try and get my hands on another reptile incubator, have people experienced this before and do you think the eggs will be ok, Im terribly worried and wont be able to get home with a new incubator till I finish work. Any advice greatly appreciated.

sandy 24-02-2015 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnathan9757 (Post 650765)
Hi all I have woken to my worst nightmare, I went to my incubator this morning and it appears to have failed and was only running at 21 or 22 degrees c with my Hermann tort eggs in it most of which appear fertile they have been incubating for 21 days and a couple that have been in a week and just stating to chalk, I know it was running at the correct temps about midnight. I have managed to quickly set up my poultry incubator and put them in covered up as it is a forced air incubator whilst I try and get my hands on another reptile incubator, have people experienced this before and do you think the eggs will be ok, Im terribly worried and wont be able to get home with a new incubator till I finish work. Any advice greatly appreciated.

It shouldnt hurt the development of the eggs if they are fertile.
It may just make the incubation a little longer:0)

egyptiandan64 24-02-2015 10:58 AM

They cool down over night in the wild, so your cool down won't hurt them at all. Good luck with getting a new incubator and remember you should set it up and run it for 24 hours before putting the eggs in.

Danny

johnathan9757 24-02-2015 11:02 AM

Thanks guys this settles my mind a bit I really hope they will be ok

becciwales 24-02-2015 11:05 AM

Fingers crossed they'll be fine x

emma_mcraf 24-02-2015 11:10 AM

Good luck with them. Hopefully they'll be perfectly fine.

johnathan9757 24-02-2015 11:21 AM

Thank you im hoping and praying

Gordon 24-02-2015 12:27 PM

They should be fine i have had mine off once and it dropped a lot lower than that and they all hatched fine :-):-)

johnathan9757 24-02-2015 12:33 PM

its amazes me how they can survive as I hatch poultry and such drops in temp are usually detrimental to the embryo

Gordon 24-02-2015 03:47 PM

They are tuff little things they need to be otherwise they would soon become very thin on the ground:-):-)