Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Hello (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=74971)

Emmy 25-06-2019 11:46 AM

Hello

Hello, I used to be on here 10-12 years ago! When I was preparing to get a tortoise...well that never actually happened...but now we are rescuing a hermann in a few weeks time. Annoyed as I got rid of all the tort stuff I had previously ha! We have a huge 4x2 double viv unit coming (we will be getting a baby one to at some point) I spent a small fortune on all the kit and we are finally ready!! Also have a cold frame adapted and ready for an outdoor enclosure. just a waiting game now...

Yvonne G 25-06-2019 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emmy (Post 677215)
Hello, I used to be on here 10-12 years ago! When I was preparing to get a tortoise...well that never actually happened...but now we are rescuing a hermann in a few weeks time. Annoyed as I got rid of all the tort stuff I had previously ha! We have a huge 4x2 double viv unit coming (we will be getting a baby one to at some point) I spent a small fortune on all the kit and we are finally ready!! Also have a cold frame adapted and ready for an outdoor enclosure. just a waiting game now...

Good to have you back, Emmy! Welcome!!

burnt toast 25-06-2019 09:13 PM

Welcome Emmy :) I hate to say this, but a Vivarium is not the best housing for a Hermanns. They trap too much humidity & its hard to achieve a temperature gradient. They are OK for tropical torts who require such conditions.

How old / big is the Hermanns your getting?

Emmy 26-06-2019 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnt toast (Post 677223)
Welcome Emmy :) I hate to say this, but a Vivarium is not the best housing for a Hermanns. They trap too much humidity & its hard to achieve a temperature gradient. They are OK for tropical torts who require such conditions.

How old / big is the Hermanns your getting?

yep we know this but the room they are in is a 'through' room so very drafty and open...plus we have cats and dogs so need to make sure its safe..i asked on a tortoise fb group...and I was sure most would say tables...but I was surprised by how many people keep them in vivs now a days...and shes 4 and about the side or my hand...

sandy 26-06-2019 02:06 PM

Tortoises are a wandering species, and like to be outside as much as possible.
They cannot roam very far in a viv:0(
And they cannot escape the heat if they want too:0(

Yvonne G 26-06-2019 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandy (Post 677236)
Tortoises are a wandering species, and like to be outside as much as possible.
They cannot roam very far in a viv:0(
And they cannot escape the heat if they want too:0(

Not only that, but their digestion is dependent upon being able to walk a lot.

burnt toast 26-06-2019 04:17 PM

Emmy, do you have a safe outdoor area for her?

Emmy 26-06-2019 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnt toast (Post 677239)
Emmy, do you have a safe outdoor area for her?

yep we have a cold frame, with the plastic removed and mesh added, I cannot for the life of me remember how to insert a pic on these forums now ha!

burnt toast 26-06-2019 11:11 PM

I'm useless (proper flintstone!) Clare, Cherry Brandy is our expert on photos! She will be along soon x