Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Housing (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   panic panic panic!!!! (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=74468)

Merlin M 11-05-2017 05:10 PM

panic panic panic!!!!

I just got home from visiting my sister and her 2 week old wee boy to a gap in a barrier (made of tiles propped with big rocks) and I can find Amber anywhere!!

I have found Tea and Misha but I think Amber made the gap and has got out!

I have looked down the garden path and in the front garden (which is a jungle and could hide 50 tortoises and you would never find them) but I can't find her anywhere in or out of the garden!!!!

sandy 11-05-2017 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merlin M (Post 671620)
I just got home from visiting my sister and her 2 week old wee boy to a gap in a barrier (made of tiles propped with big rocks) and I can find Amber anywhere!!

I have found Tea and Misha but I think Amber made the gap and has got out!

I have looked down the garden path and in the front garden (which is a jungle and could hide 50 tortoises and you would never find them) but I can't find her anywhere in or out of the garden!!!!

You might have to wait until the sun shines tomorrow, and look where the sun comes up. I am sure you will find her then:0)
Its probably to hard to find her now, as she will have tucked herself away.

Merlin M 11-05-2017 05:39 PM

I think I am wrong in that it is Misha who is missing, which is worse as he is so adventurous!

He is often up this late but yes it may take a few days to find him!

He won't be in our back garden as I would have found him as he does not dig (not himself anyway but he will follow others)

Gordon 11-05-2017 05:51 PM

Get a Long piece of bamboo or a strong stick and go round the long grass prodding in the ground gently and see if you can find it that way I have done it with mine b4 and found it.
Never underestimate how deep and quick a horsfield can dig they are shelled moles.

Merlin M 11-05-2017 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon (Post 671623)
Get a Long piece of bamboo or a strong stick and go round the long grass prodding in the ground gently and see if you can find it that way I have done it with mine b4 and found it.
Never underestimate how deep and quick a horsfield can dig they are shelled moles.

That is a very good plan, he is a grumpy got and hisses if prodded

emma_mcraf 11-05-2017 06:33 PM

I can well understand your panic, Merlin. I'd be the same.
Hope you soon find him and please let us know when you do.

CherryBrandy 11-05-2017 08:14 PM

oh crikey. I am sure he will be fine and you will track him down. I did a grid search (like bone collector) years ago when I got my first Horsfield because I couldn't find him and he had burrowed under a railway sleeper, a small concrete slab and up through the bark - next morning I was out there as soon as sun came up and spotted the movement thank goodness. I think Sandy said as much. I put flour down around the whole area to see if it was disturbed in the morning ! if you can I would try and place some boards round and see if knocked down? or cardboard that sort of thing. String on ground see if dragged away... A pot or two too. and junk food lettuce piled high. CB

Merlin M 11-05-2017 08:22 PM

Thanks, have been all round the side of the house and front garden with a stick and not found him but it is past the time he would find a secluded corner to sleep in.
I will look again in the morning. He has never dug down before but the front and side are very over grown so there are lots of places he could nestled down and we would not find him. Just have to see if we can find where he wakes up.

CherryBrandy 11-05-2017 08:27 PM

I suppose they go til they meet a corner don't they or a big root ! Hope it works out. CB

emma_mcraf 12-05-2017 12:00 PM

Any sign of him, Merlin?