Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Evolving Husbandry (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Humid hide (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=72833)

Wyannis 15-03-2015 10:02 AM

Humid hide

I have finally managed to buy some sphagnum moss and have made a humid hide for my torts this morning. The trouble is Florence seems to think I have made her an all you can eat buffet! She hasn't gone right in yet but has just sat at the door stuffing her face. I see it is a moderate feed so do I leave it in or take it out again?

Wyannis 16-03-2015 08:44 AM

What do you all use to make a humid hide? I have used a small ice cream tub with most of the side cut out for a door but it is too light. They are just shoving it about and trashing their enclosure. I would really appreciate any suggestions. They didn't sleep in the hide last night but are both in their this morning eating the moss!

Gordon 16-03-2015 12:14 PM

I don't use moss all i do is damp the soil in their hide two or three times a week:)

Ozric Jonathan 16-03-2015 12:57 PM

I've used different plastic tubs and plant pots, seed trays, and for larger tortoises an upside down washing up bowl. I admit the plastic containers are not all that pretty! One advantage of plastic is keeping some himidity in. I made a nicer looking one out of wood, but it didn't keep the humidity in.

To stop the hides moving about I put weight on top.

Wyannis 16-03-2015 02:38 PM

Thanks Gordon and Ozric. I may just need to weigh my tub doen with something. Do I need to worry about them eating the moss?

Ozric Jonathan 16-03-2015 07:53 PM

I'm sure that moss is reckoned not to be harmful but if they don't stop eating it you might need to use something else. I've used moss in the past and not had that problem with it.

Catwoman63 22-03-2015 01:51 PM

I have never used moss in the torts enclosures, moss when kept damp goes mouldy, I used to use it when I had geckos and found it got mouldy.

All I do for my my tortoises I'd make sure I water the substrate, turn it and keep it around the correct humidty for the species :) x

Wyannis 22-03-2015 06:11 PM

Maybe the moss is not such a good idea. I have taken the tub out for the moment but there are little bits of moss all through my substrate now. It is just a mess! I might try the tub on its own again but I will have to find something to weigh it down.

Ozric Jonathan 24-03-2015 09:18 PM

Hi again, if the aim here is to provide a certain amount of humidity there is a lot to be said for using a plastic container and watering the substrate underneath it. Especially in the evening, because as the temperature falls the humidity under the plastic rises.

Watering the substrate on an open table has many advantages but almost zero effect on humidity unless the room is small, has a low ceiling and is sealed up.

Wyannis 24-03-2015 11:14 PM

Thanks Ozric. That is an interesting point. I will have another go with the tub but minus the moss this time. I would be a bit worried about watering under it at night time as I think it would be too cold and wet.