Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Breeding and Incubation (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   She hasn't laid still (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=72551)

Ozric Jonathan 18-12-2014 01:05 AM

She hasn't laid still

OK so there was every sign my female was gravid as she was getting grumpy with another female in her enclosure and then she dug a lovely hole but didn't lay any eggs.
Now I'm a bit concerned she has become a bit quiet, not very hungry and staying in her hide more.
Should I be concerned and do anything different?

I've made an area I thought might be good for a nest and she dug there but then abandoned that hole and hasn't made another one. The rest of the enclosure most likely wouldn't have enough substrate depth. Maybe I need to re-arrange the enclosure.

egyptiandan64 18-12-2014 01:57 AM

For peace of mind Jonathan, I'd get her x-rayed :D

Danny

Ozric Jonathan 23-01-2015 06:55 PM

UPDATE!

Surface laid egg has appeared...

[It's a chat for another day but my OH didn't think an x-ray was necessary and rather foolishly I accepted this. Note to self - OH has many areas of expertise but tortoise reproduction is definitely not one of them]

Not very optimistic that surface laid egg will produce a hatchling however it is in incubator and I aim to give it every chance. If not a success, will be a good trial run for me.

sandy 23-01-2015 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan (Post 649847)
UPDATE!

[It's a chat for another day but my OH didn't think an x-ray was necessary and rather foolishly I accepted this. Note to self - OH has many areas of expertise but tortoise reproduction is definitely not one of them]

Not very optimistic that surface laid egg will produce a hatchling however it is in incubator and I aim to give it every chance. If not a success, will be a good trial run for me.

Always worth incubating:0)
Sounds like a very fussy female couldnt find a site just right for her:0)

Suze65 23-01-2015 07:47 PM

I have often seen my girls dig for 3 hours, leaving me very hopeful that they are going to get on with it, then walk off. Sometimes, I have put them back on the same whole the next day and they have finished off the job.

burnt toast 23-01-2015 08:45 PM

Good luck Jon, always worth a try.

( I have a few females who do my head in being fussy & refusing to lay! Then others who are no trouble at all! )

egyptiandan64 23-01-2015 10:27 PM

Jonathan :) still worth getting an x-ray done to make sure she doesn't have any more eggs. :mrgreen:

Danny

Gordon 26-01-2015 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan (Post 649847)
UPDATE!

Jonathan just remember although women say they are always right most of the time they are wrong :shock::shock::shock:

emma_mcraf 26-01-2015 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TURNIP (Post 649930)
Jonathan just remember although women say they are always right most of the time they are wrong :shock::shock::shock:

Hmmmmmm!!!!!! :shock: :mad: :evil:

Gordon, we are the superior sex and although we very rarely get things mixed up, we are mainly always right!!!! ;) :lol:

If Jonathan's other half knew more about torts she'd have surely advised differently. She was probably busy multi-tasking at the time!! ;-)

However, not knowing Jonathan personally, one can't assume his other half is female!! :razz:

mark r 26-01-2015 12:59 PM

my wife gives me lots of good advice (so she claims)