Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Tortoise Health and Vets (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   My Horsfield won't eat and sleeps forever (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=48061)

BirdieF18 02-02-2012 09:12 PM

My Horsfield won't eat and sleeps forever

Hello my horsfield tortoise seems to hardly be eating and is sleeping for ages and would happily sleep until i wake her up this is worrying for me. I just got her to eat so its a step but before that she refused to eat for two days. She has water to drink from i give her regular baths i just can't crack it can someone please help me.
Thank you.

Alan1 02-02-2012 09:39 PM

at this time of year a lot of torts slow down quite a bit even with the light and heat. they don't actually need to be eating every day or even getting up

Blueginger1984 02-02-2012 09:40 PM

Have you recently got her? May be she's just settling in, tortoise don't like change. When I got my two it took them a couple of weeks to settle in and feed properly, has your tortoise been checked for worms? As I think that can cause them to go off food.

JoesMum 02-02-2012 09:43 PM

Joe's been pretty quiet over the last month. I have to wake him, but straight after his morning soak he eats well and then sleeps for most of the day.

Usually... I've had only had one or two stomping day since Christmas. When it's warmer outside, I get rather more!

Make sure you soak daily while he's like this (20 minutes in an escape-proof inch of luke warm water) . They can survive without food, but not water.

Joe seems to eat best straight after his bath.

Alan1 02-02-2012 09:50 PM

they usually eat after a crap too. one of my torts is going about as normal while the other is having a quiet spell, they swap over soon

BirdieF18 02-02-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelleys1984 (Post 523742)
Have you recently got her? May be she's just settling in, tortoise don't like change. When I got my two it took them a couple of weeks to settle in and feed properly, has your tortoise been checked for worms? As I think that can cause them to go off food.

No my tortoise has not ten checked although i am arranging a quick check over at the vet as i just got her recently i will get the vet to check

Xero 02-02-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BirdieF18 (Post 523775)
No my tortoise has not ten checked although i am arranging a quick check over at the vet as i just got her recently i will get the vet to check

I would put my money on her settleing in, some torts do take a couple of weeks to settle as they really do not like change

Catwoman63 02-02-2012 10:38 PM

It will take her a few weeks to settle in they get stressed easily and wont eat, mine took a few weeks to settle and eat and roam about also when changed their diet from what they had before which was cooked veg, it takes time to adjust, mine dont rise till about 11 am in this cold weather, lilly goes back to bed at 6 and little ariana stays up till the lamp goes off then goes to bed x

Xero 02-02-2012 10:42 PM

Oh and also yes it is always worth the couple of pounds to get them checked for worms..

yuna1971 02-02-2012 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caledonia (Post 523740)
at this time of year a lot of torts slow down quite a bit even with the light and heat. they don't actually need to be eating every day or even getting up

Totally right by Al. Outside temps are freezing. Light quality is pretty poor. And depending on when you got her...could be settling in. This will all play a part. Keep the bathing up. Offer food.
I dont think worry just yet. xx:)