Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Tortoise Health and Vets (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Tortoise-Update #2 (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=72541)

pepper2924 11-12-2014 12:30 PM

Tortoise-Update #2

Just to say little Tortuga died during the night, we are gutted and the vet is too as she was doing so well. It has really knocked our confidence as first time keepers and we are not sure whether to risk getting another one, on our other threads people seemed to think we where doing fine, and Danny seemed to think from the information we said that this little tort had gotten it from its previous owner.
We don't really want to risk going through this again, all the family is really upset, she was the most loved tort.

egyptiandan64 11-12-2014 01:55 PM

I'm sorry to hear this :(

Tortoise keeping can be heart braking, but also very rewarding so no giving up now. Wait a bit and go on a search for a tortoise straight from the breeder.

Danny

emma_mcraf 11-12-2014 02:00 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this sad news. :(
I can understand your heartbreak at losing little Tortuga. As Danny says, perhaps have a think about it and if you want to buy another tortoise in the future, there are some excellent breeders on here if you say what area you live in.
RIP little Tortuga. x

sandy 11-12-2014 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper2924 (Post 648635)
Just to say little Tortuga died during the night, we are gutted and the vet is too as she was doing so well. It has really knocked our confidence as first time keepers and we are not sure whether to risk getting another one, on our other threads people seemed to think we where doing fine, and Danny seemed to think from the information we said that this little tort had gotten it from its previous owner.
We don't really want to risk going through this again, all the family is really upset, she was the most loved tort.

Really sad to hear.
And its probably not the right time to think about another tortoise.
But what I would say is, get a tortoise from a recommended breeder, and a hatchling. As then you will know you are in charge of their health and diet etc. When you buy from a dealer/shop or the like, you really don't know their history.
When you buy from a hatchling, you are in charge of everything.

pepper2924 11-12-2014 03:55 PM

Yeah we are all very upset, she was well loved, we thinking of burying her in the garden tomorrow, what should we bury her in as we have a few foxes in the area.
The most upsetting thing is the fact that we know we done everything we could.

Gordon 11-12-2014 05:03 PM

Sorry to hear she has not pulled through:( as others have said don't give up if the stone was already there then it was not your fault, if I were you I would take everything you have learned from this and put it to good use with another tort
Please let us know where abouts you are and I'm sure we can point you in the right direction:)

Suze65 11-12-2014 07:36 PM

So sorry to hear your sad news. I agree with everyone else, wait a while, but don't give up. Keeping tortoises is very rewarding , they are so special. There are lots of good breeders we can put you in touch with, and you can have a healthy hatchling.

Rowan 12-12-2014 09:06 AM

So sorry to hear this. Sending hugs xxxx

burnt toast 12-12-2014 11:32 PM

I am really sorry to hear your sad news :( She was lucky to have a caring owner like you & I don't think that should go to waste, please consider another tort in the future when you are ready :)

Catwoman63 13-12-2014 08:29 AM

I'm really sorry to hear this :( xxx