Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Tortoise Health and Vets (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   New owner (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=74874)

Bruce&Izzy 05-09-2018 07:57 PM

New owner

I'm really looking for some help and advise. I recently brought 2 hermans tortoise that I believe to be around a year old. I seemed to be getting on ok with them and moved around a week a go and now my Bruce has taken to sleeping a lot and I'm just a little worried. Temperatures seem to be ok but he is sleeping all day and night. I place him under the light and he seems to rouse a little then straight back to sleep. Can anyone advise what may be wrong? Tia

CherryBrandy 07-09-2018 09:27 PM

welcome Tia Bruce and Izzy, probably normal settling in investigating perimeter fencing and then snoozing lots, absorbing vit D when feel safe. It would be ideal if you could provide pickys of set up as sometimes we take it for granted you are doing all the right things but mostly people are told wrong. You will need to do 5 posts which are sanitised as needed and then you are live ! Egg member ! CB

ClareandCo 08-09-2018 08:31 AM

Tia - isn't that 'thanks in advance'!

sandy 08-09-2018 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce&Izzy (Post 675779)
I'm really looking for some help and advise. I recently brought 2 hermans tortoise that I believe to be around a year old. I seemed to be getting on ok with them and moved around a week a go and now my Bruce has taken to sleeping a lot and I'm just a little worried. Temperatures seem to be ok but he is sleeping all day and night. I place him under the light and he seems to rouse a little then straight back to sleep. Can anyone advise what may be wrong? Tia

What temps have you under the heat spot?
Temps should be around 32c and ambient temp of around 25c.
Is your tortoise in an open topped enclosure?
It can take up to a couple of weeks for some tortoises to adjust to a new home and setup.
And because the days are getting shorter, they are perhaps just adjusting to a shorter day too.
Make sure you bathe your tortoise at least twice a day for a few days, to make sure they are not dehydrated. Then cut it down to once a day. This is vital as dehydration is one of the biggest killers in young tortoises.
Does he have clear bright eyes?
A dry nose?
And is he gaping?
Sorry for all the questions but are needed to be able to help more:0)

CherryBrandy 17-09-2018 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClareandCo (Post 675801)
Tia - isn't that 'thanks in advance'!

ha ! I know a Tia and have never thought that but see it is ! :-D

emma_mcraf 17-09-2018 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryBrandy (Post 675835)
ha ! I know a Tia and have never thought that but see it is ! :-D

I know of a beautiful Tia too.
I read it as a name also. Duh...thanks in advance or thanks in anticipation, I should know that! :roll:

CherryBrandy 22-09-2018 02:45 PM

And a Maria,

bit like Bunny and Clyde, except she is a bunny ! so sweet CB

emma_mcraf 22-09-2018 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryBrandy (Post 675851)
And a Maria,

bit like Bunny and Clyde, except she is a bunny ! so sweet CB

Ooh, Tia Maria...I miss that! :-)

CherryBrandy 23-09-2018 05:27 PM

Wait til Christmas Emma and mix with ice cream. mmmmmm 94 days to go. CB

emma_mcraf 23-09-2018 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryBrandy (Post 675860)
Wait til Christmas Emma and mix with ice cream. mmmmmm 94 days to go. CB

Can’t...it’s not on the approved gluten free list! :cry:
I used to make a nice tiramisu cheesecake recipe with it. :roll:

94 days! :-D:-D:-D